• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fins dissappearing

jvanrompu

5 Year Member
I have some sp. Morado, and some Papagei. The thing that I am having with these fish is that the fins on these fish are completely dissappearing, like they are being eaten by flesh eating disease or something. The Morado, get white fungussy patches on them but on the papagei there is nothing.

I am keeping cacatoides, viettje, winkelfleck, none of these species are having the same symptoms, they are all in different tanks. My water has a ph of about 7 , sorry do not know the current hardness.

Any ideas , I have tried quick cure no effect.

Thanks

John

Randall

5 Year Member
Disappearing Fins

Dear Jvan,

Sorry to hear about your fin problems.

From what you wrote, it sounds like you've got a bad case of fin rot, a bacterial infection, on your hands. Using Quick Cure won't help because it is an anti-parasitic medication.

Please quarantine your infected fish (if you haven't already), perform a partial water change, remove any carbon from your filter(s) and dose with a proprietary antibiotic. I prefer a Neomycin Sulfate/Sulfa blend, but any of the popular aquarium antibiotics should do the trick. I wouldn't recommend using Tetracycline because it is light sensitive.

Good luck to you, and please write again, should you need further assistance.

Randall Kohn

S

sunnysmom

I know this is kind of an old thread, but...melafix! yay!

I use Melafix for my fish. It's fairly easy to find here in USA, but can be spotty to get elsewhere. Melafix is considered a fancy fin fish breeder's secret weapon for fin regrowth. Usually tops the infection in most cases -although in bad cases you should treat with antibiotic too. If there are body ulcers, you need to use additional treatment first, then Melafix. Mostly I've used it for Bettas and Angels. The fin regrowth is visible within 3-4 days. Try it, just don't overdose your fish. IMO, the dose on the bottle is about 2x what is safe.

Also, it won't wipe out your bio-filter. I think it was developed for use in koi ponds. Be careful if using in a tank that contains dwarf frogs, although I suppose, most here wouldn't be keeping frogs with their apistos :lol:

just my $.02.

S

jvr

5 Year Member
Hi Guys,

tried all of the above and unfortunately nothing worked, tried the antibiotics, sulfa etc. Stopped the fin rot for a day or two, then it came back again. I have lost most of the fish that had it to this, it took some time, tried the remedies repeatly.

Some of the fish kept eating, and they would look more and more hollow bellied, eventually they were finless and hollowbellied, there eyes look like they were protruding out of the heads.

All these fish were wild caught fish, I think they had some wild bacteria that was immune to my antibiotics. I also tried playing with the water with no luck.

I did keep them isolated.
It has taught me a lesson, be careful with wild fish, they could be introducing a new disease for which there is no known cure.

Thanks

John

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewShNN

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….