• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female Personality

Tom S

I have a 29 gallon that holds a male/female pair of A. Cac's Triple Red. They have laid eggs twice that I know of, and have eaten the eggs twice.

I have noticed over the last few weeks that the female has been a rose-y color most of the time, and is hen-pecking the male. He sticks to a third of the tank that has his hollow log and cave, and she patrols the other two-thirds with a vengeance. Any time she sees him she gives chase until he hides.

I am worried that he is being picked on to much. He used to display for her, but I have not seen that recently. Would bringing another female or a pair of females into the tank help relieve the pressure on him? Or does he simply need more cover (plants) to feel safe in?

MonteSS

No expert here, but I would imagine that if you bring another female in, your current female would kill her.

.....Bill

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Does sound a bit strange, as the female isn't yellow she probably hasn't got eggs or fry, and she is definitely a female because she has spawned. Usually the problem with a pair is that the male harasses the female relentlessly when she isn't ready to spawn, he is always ready (in my limited experience this is less of a problem with A. cacatuoides than A. agassizi or A. trifasciata).

The description of the male makes me think that he is unwell, does he look noticeably thin and/or colourless? I always worry about Camallanus worm infections in these cases as I know they can take quite a time to show fully.

More cover is never a bad idea, it reduces "line of sight", meaning that the fish are often invisible to one another, even when they are quite close. I don't think another female will help as your male is not behaving normally. I've kept a male with all the numbers from 1 to 7 females, and they all worked, although with a big harem you need a bigger floor area and 2 females in a smaller tank can lead to the larger female bullying the smaller.

If you do add more females move the décor around and then add them, this will allow the new females an equal chance to find a territory rather than invading a pre-existing one.

cheers Darrel

Tom S

The description of the male makes me think that he is unwell, does he look noticeably thin and/or colourless? I always worry about Camallanus worm infections in these cases as I know they can take quite a time to show fully.

I sure hope it's not anything like that, I have had him for 1/2 a year now and all he had done is grown. He has been coming out of his hidey hole more often recently, has lots of color, and eats like a pig when he can.

You have left too many pieces of needed information unanswered: tank size, water chemistry/maintenance, foods and feeding, tank mates ...

Tank is a 29 gallon. Water is slightly harder than I would like (don't have the numbers in front of me, but the substrate is construction sand with I think may be affecting this), as well as the pH (I think it is up about 7.5). I am getting into the habit of doing weekly water changes of about 25%. I feed small sinking pellets daily and a cube of frozen brine shrimp every few days. Tank mates include 3 cory cats and 10 cardinal tetras.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Community tanks aren't good breeding tanks. I imagine that the other tank members are "picking off" any eggs/fry that appear. Cardinals are infamous fry predators, and corys are famous for stealing eggs at night. It would be great if you can get the pH closer to neutral and the water softer, but this species is adaptable. I suggest that you add some live foods and back off on the dry foods. Apistos can be very "picky" eaters. Breeding in a tank designed for breeding, better water values and better food should produce the results that you want. Otherwise just enjoy the tank as it is. Any fry will be a bonus.

Tom S

Breeding is not my first concern. I picked cichlids because they have personality and color for my community tank. Later on when I have more experience I may try breeding, but not right now.

I am more concerned that my male will either be picked on to the death or become reclusive.

Tedstank

5 Year Member
I kept a trio of cacs in a 55 gal. The females were the the keepers of the the tank. They "took" half the tank for themselves and the male was outcast and roamed between the 2 territories. He was fine with that, and never hurt. I think you are ok with the situation. When they spawned I just let it all be, as I was not interested in lots of fry. A few always survived.

Also in the tank were 2 pairs of Borelli who never got a chance to breed until I pulled them out.

The female cacs were still the tank masters!!!

Also had about 14 cardinal tetras. Nice community tank, but definately not a breeding tank.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….