• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female or Subdominant Male Cockatoo??

RustedKnight

Sexing Apistogramma Cacatouides - please help

Well I put the male I had ID'd the other day in a new tank, and put my other 2 girls in there..

Well i'm starting to wonder if those girls ARE infact girls..

So, here we go.

Okay... I fed them and they practically lined up for me. I need a dark substrate, will pick up some sand for these guys tomorrow.

IMG_5790.jpg

IMG_5789.jpg

IMG_5788.jpg

IMG_5786.jpg

IMG_5781.jpg

IMG_5778.jpg

IMG_5776.jpg

RustedKnight

Reopening this thread with another case, or 3. Makes more sense than starting a new thread. See first post, need these 3 cacatouides sexed.

I'm thinking there's 2 males and a female, but i'm HOPING that it's 1 male 2 females.

ste12000

5 Year Member
They all look like females to me.. At that age males would be showing far more colour, darker body and longer fins..

RustedKnight

They all look like females to me.. At that age males would be showing far more colour, darker body and longer fins..

Thanks for the reply Ste.

The fish i'm assuming is male was kept in a tank with my dominant male for a few weeks. This is only 1 day after being moved from the main tank to a second tank.

So, would he still in theory be coloured up, or could it be that because he was kept with dominant males he never coloured up before??

RustedKnight

okay, to try and clear things up. Firstly excuse the Betta, waiting for the missus to move him.

Fish 1, presumed male. As described by Mark Microman Breeze and Andrew W.

IMG_5800.jpg

IMG_5803.jpg

Fish 2, presumed female.

IMG_5806.jpg

Fish 3, presumed female.

IMG_5810.jpg

IMG_5812.jpg

All the fish are nipping at eachothers fins, and effectively "tail slapping" each other in the face.

Bilbo

5 Year Member
Notoriously bad at this but I think I can see at least one male in the first and second picture down on the first post.
I might stick my neck out and say there could even be 2 males in those shots.

In the bottom pics they all could be males; they all seem to have pointed dorsal fins and squared off tails.

This may not be the best indicator but that’s my thoughts for what its worth :)

RustedKnight

Notoriously bad at this but I think I can see at least one male in the first and second picture down on the first post.
I might stick my neck out and say there could even be 2 males in those shots.

In the bottom pics they all could be males; they all seem to have pointed dorsal fins and squared off tails.

This may not be the best indicator but that’s my thoughts for what its worth :)

Points taken, noted and appreciated! Ste's got his money on all 3 being female, i hope he's right, in a way. It'd make my dominant male very happy.

RustedKnight

update.

All is clear now, after so long with this fish being so very very odd, I caught her turning sideways, propositioning my male.

Definately a female, just a very odd one at that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(