• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding Juvenile Apistogramma agassizii??

JG

5 Year Member
Hi guys!

Received four (4) agassizii's from Below Water (Canada). They're quite small 1" tops. What should I feed them? As I keep other species of fish I have lots of different food: frozen marine algae (Hikari), Veggie flakes (HBH), typical tropical food, red grubs (freeze dried), etc.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Having just added them to my own QT tank an hour ago I was wondering how long after could I present some food? They look and are delicate so I'm being a bit extra cautious here.

Thanks in advance.

JazzyB 8)

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
Feed them just about anything!!

Small apisto's are pigs, and will try to fit anything in their mouth!!

I'd feed them the same stuff as you feed the rest of your fish, but in smaller pieces. For the flakes, just crumble them up a bit more. Frozen stuff, give the smaller pieces, and the freeze dried stuff, just crumble it between your fingers a bit more.

Get them used to your feeding habits!!

I usually feed newly arrived fish a few hours after they have come in, if they look healthy. If not, I wait the day after.

JG

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice!

Question: are these guys surface feeders? Just wondering how effective it is to let the food float on the surface or should I try placing the food within their reach?

JazzyB 8)

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
My experience with them tells me not to be fussy :)
Let the stuff float, they'll come up for it. If they don't like it, it will sink down to their reach.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….