• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Experiences with A. paucisquamis?

Marc

5 Year Member
Hi,

yesterday, Rolo brought me two pairs of beautiful and healthy Apistogramma pauciquamis (wildcaught).

Is anybody able to share some experiences about keeping and breeding these beauties?

Kind regards
Marc

p.s.: All actual literature sources like Staeck, Linke & Staeck, Koslowski, Datz Special Edition et. al. are available and read. :wink:

apistobob

5 Year Member
I kept these was in the mid 1990's but then I only had males. They were agressive but otherwise typical apistos.

About three weeks ago I got a trio of wild paucisquamous that have turned out to be all females. So now I have kept females and males but never both at the same time! Anyone in the US have extra males?

Bob

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Haven't they been presenting quite a challenge to breeders so far?
I personally having seen any accounts of a successful spawning but that certainly doesn't mean it hasn't been done.

Marc

5 Year Member
Hi,

no news from my A. paucisquamis. After a relative long time where the males shows more or less (but never really alarming) agressive behaviour against the females the situation cooled down. There is no breeding activity, the females shown well rounded bellys but no "action".

Temp.: 25° to 26° C (77°-79° Fahrenheit)
pH.: 4.3 in one tank, 5.5 in the other one
conduction: 40µs / 270µs
Thanks to the weather, there is a lot of rainwater available.

I hope to tell you more within some weeks.

Kind regards
Marc

apistobob

5 Year Member
Thanks for the update. I am interested to see what your breeding experiences are. Please keep us posted.

Bob

blueblue

5 Year Member
Marc:

A. paucisquamis is similar to many other apistos.
Its breeding and keeping are similar to A. mendezi, and A. sp. Miua.
Breeding can be achieved by using very acidic (pH ~4.5-5) and soft water.

Do your male fish have the double red tips in the caudal fin?

Cheers - blue

Marc

5 Year Member
Hi Blueblue, :)

yes double red tips (but just a little bit red), yellow belly. Blue iridescend highlights, nearly like a mask, blue pectoral and anal fins, and these wonderful broad metallic - like a mix of brass and copper - stripe along the black one.

Real beauties... and no camera. I'am sorry.

Little tank update, yesterday i added a good handful of beech tree leaves.

Kind regards
Marc

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
One of my friends just got a couple pairs of both A. paucisquamis and Apisto. sp. Miau so I will let him know about this topic so he can maybe learn or share some useful info. Both are really nice catches.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Hi Marc, any good news and update regarding your fish?

Hi Blueblue, :)

yes double red tips (but just a little bit red), yellow belly. Blue iridescend highlights, nearly like a mask, blue pectoral and anal fins, and these wonderful broad metallic - like a mix of brass and copper - stripe along the black one.

Real beauties... and no camera. I'am sorry.

Little tank update, yesterday i added a good handful of beech tree leaves.

Kind regards
Marc

Marc

5 Year Member
Hi,

according to the informations given in "Rio Negro - Rich Life in poor Water" and the informations provided from Michael Schlüter within his A. pertensis-article, 26°C matches the A. paucisquamis habitat.

Good News today: She starts digging, building a huge sand pile in front of a cave. :)

Kind regards
Marc

blueblue

5 Year Member
Hi,

according to the informations given in "Rio Negro - Rich Life in poor Water" and the informations provided from Michael Schlüter within his A. pertensis-article, 26°C matches the A. paucisquamis habitat.

Good News today: She starts digging, building a huge sand pile in front of a cave. :)

Kind regards
Marc

Congratulations Marc!! Hope to see the fry coming out soon!!
Do keep us up-to-date.

Marc

5 Year Member
Thank you Blue. This evening i saw her first time in a nice metallic yellow coloration. It looks spectecular but it is possible that this effect depends to the use of a diode-flashlite. I'am still not able to find eggs. The tank is abundandly covered with moss and leaves.

Kind regards
Marc (a little bit more excited every day :) )

blueblue

5 Year Member
Thank you Blue. This evening i saw her first time in a nice metallic yellow coloration. It looks spectecular but it is possible that this effect depends to the use of a diode-flashlite. I'am still not able to find eggs. The tank is abundandly covered with moss and leaves.

Kind regards
Marc (a little bit more excited every day :) )

Good to learn that and the metallic yellow is super-beautiful :)
Looking forward to hearing good news from you.

Marc

5 Year Member
Hi,

no more yellow for the moment. Ok that ain't a real problem. My real problem is that the male A. paucisquamis is "missed in action". No sign, nothing to see, no male. Tomorrow i empty the tank completely. Sh**! :mad:

Kind regards
Marc

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….