• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eliza family

blueblue

5 Year Member
Eliza family: A pair of wildcaught, Tucano, and their fry :)
Sorry for the poor quality photos as i do not want to disturb the
family too much...

wilde_family0_422.jpg

wilde_family3_234.jpg

wilde_family2_144.jpg

peterK

5 Year Member
Ohhh thanks for sharing.... you know what Tucano-Elizas mean for me... Awesome fishes... I must get some for my new tank ^.^

blueblue

5 Year Member
Blueblue, can you tell me the parameters of the water?

Thanks in advance

Hi Jose. I didn't measure while i would say that the water is very soft and the pH is around 5.5. to 6, as Hong Kong's tap water is very soft. The ADA substrate can create a stable and slightly acidic environment. I have added a small amount of peat-treated water to stimulate the breeding...

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
Thanks blueblue.

In my city we do have good water for Apistos (PH:7.0; KH:2; GH:2) but we don´t have the variety of commercial substrate you do.

I use three kinds of substrate:
Planted tanks: laterite + sand
Breeding: just sand
Growing fries: bare bottom

blueblue

5 Year Member
so, is breeding A. eliza and A. diplo. kind of apistos difficult with the substrate you have? Here in Hong Kong, the use of ADA substrate can make
breeding of all apistos easy.. :)

Thanks blueblue.

In my city we do have good water for Apistos (PH:7.0; KH:2; GH:2) but we don´t have the variety of commercial substrate you do.

I use three kinds of substrate:
Planted tanks: laterite + sand
Breeding: just sand
Growing fries: bare bottom

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
Blueblue, believe it or not, in my country those fish aren´t imported.

I live in the capitol city and I´m in contact with all the fish importers (they´re just three) and because of that I´ve all the dwarves cichlids that ever reach my country. They´re:

A. cf. eunotus "Shahuaya"
A. cf. eunotus "orange-tail"
A. agassizzi
A. norberti
A. baenschi
A. cacatuoides
A. eremnopyge
A. sp. "Morado"
A. bitaeniata (yellow)
A. sp. "Masked" (just two males that arrived as a contaminant with P. innesi)Apistogrammoides pucallpaeinsis
M. ramirezzi
M. altispinosa
A. borellii (locally collected)
A. commbrae (locally collected)
A. trifasciata (locally collected)
L. dorsigera (locally collected)

All of them (including M. ramirezzi are wildcaught, we´ve no local breeders for these fish).

And some Apistos are pricey here, so the people doesn´t buy them.

For example: When I bought 2 males and 3 females of A. eremnopyge directly from the importer, I´ve to pay them as 8 26x18x14 tanks (yes, eight tanks of that size).

So, you´re lucky in Hong Kong

I could breed all of them but eremnopyge and bitaeniata (because I bought them just 1 month ago) nor norberti (they´re very difficult)

Bye bye

blueblue

5 Year Member
hmm, norberti is actually easy if you have a well-fed pair... usually, the wildcaught specimens are not strong and healthy... otherwise, they will breed very easily and the yield is substantial, too :)

valice

5 Year Member
A.bitaeniata would be pretty easy to breed to.
One trick is to perform a 50% water change as taught by a friend, and it worked!
Seemed to trigger their spawning.

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
Fortunatelly, in my city the water is free. Besides I´ve a RO system, so I make 30% water changes twice a week.

I never have problems with NO3.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….