• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Electric Blue Spawn

tuna

5 Year Member
There are females out there. Mine just bred last night I just hope they are fertile.
eb%20Ram.jpg

tuna

5 Year Member
Day 2 and I haven't seen one egg fungus yet. There are some missing today but still have 80% left.

tuna

5 Year Member
This morning I can't find any. I think someone got them during the night or they did themselves. I was hopping to find a pit with them in it but didn't. I'm going to wait a couple of days and then get everybody but them out of the tank. It's going to take a couple of days to wipe the tears off. Has anyone left the tank light on 24/7 during this hatching period. Now it's just how soon will they breed again. I hope they get it right the next time.

aqua-nepz

5 Year Member
This morning I can't find any. I think someone got them during the night or they did themselves. I was hopping to find a pit with them in it but didn't. I'm going to wait a couple of days and then get everybody but them out of the tank. It's going to take a couple of days to wipe the tears off. Has anyone left the tank light on 24/7 during this hatching period. Now it's just how soon will they breed again. I hope they get it right the next time.
Very much disappointing.lets hope it will spawn for you sooner again.Next time try to spwan them in a seperate spawning tank.

viejo

5 Year Member
Has anyone left the tank light on 24/7 during this hatching period.

Leaving on a dim night light does seem to have the effect of suppressing egg eating & possible predation by fishes which are active at night. It doesn't have to be very bright at all.

Adoketa

5 Year Member

Hi there Tuna, rams are really prolific. All you need to do is to feed them with high quality food, ie, nutritious pellets, blackworms, artemia, etc. They get back in the mood within the week and can keep going for months (at least here in Malaysia they do). I have a couple of pairs of german Rams and they've been at it for months, almost spawning weekly. I've given up separating the babies. :biggrin:

tuna

5 Year Member
They are now by themselves in a planted 55 Gal. I think I have 2 girls and 2 boys. I'm not worried about them spawning again because I know they will.
I'll give them a couple of more chances before I take the eggs. I prefer they take care of the fry.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've left a 'night light' (3W bulb) on tanks with 'skittish' females with good success. Usually I only needed it for 3-5 days. After that everything worked well. I, however, don't keep other bottom dwellers on a breeding tank, only top-dwelling target/dither fish that don't bother the breeders.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I think it is best to breed rams as a single pairs per tank. Another pair only decreases the chances of a pair successfully raising a brood. Most of the time all color forms of Mikrogeophagus ramirezi tend to eat their eggs or larvae prior to hatching or free swimming so if you really want some in the bag, so to speak, then artificially hatch out one spawn.
They can be text book perfect parents but not so routinely in my own experience.
I have raised and sold about 2000 rams over the years and I have only had one pair of Gold Rams raise their fry by the book just the one time. They ate all subsequent spawns. When they raise a brood they will not spawn as frequently as they do when they are eating eggs or if you are routinely removing spawns for artificially raising them.

The one time the Gold pair raised their brood they raised an incredible 400 fry.
Pretty amazing. The fry survival rates are much better when the parents are willing to provide good brood care compared the the results of artificial techniques.

fredmir1

5 Year Member
Electric Blue RamSpawn

I do have 2 pairs and did put them in there own tank, 10 and 20 gallons

Male would chase the female no stop

Now I have both pairs in the 20 gallon tank

One pair did bonded together and layed a nice spawn of 60 plus eggs, which I took out

This pair would chase the other Electric Blue Rams

I did bred Blue and Gold Rams and never had a problem like this

These are very aggressive Rams I have

George

JSchopf88

I Just got a pair 2-18-10. I am lucky enough that i just had them lay eggs 2-21-01. Today i noticed some eggs getting white and the female eating some good eggs, so i took the eggs out and put them in a ten gallon with a couple of air stones. I hope it goes well. Even if they don't make it, it was a leaning experience. The guy i got them from said his pairs spawn every 9days. This is my first time artificially hatching the fry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….