• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eggs and whats happening

newworldan06

5 Year Member
My rams previously laid eggs. The next day they were gone. I was planning to move them and raise them myself after a couple days but they didn't even last over night. I was wondering what could be eating them. I have apistos, oto's, a farlowella, and some crdinals. I am pretty sure it wasn't the cardinals or the oto's. I kno the cardinals would have eaten the fry. Is a Farlowella a huge possibility or is he just algae? I have seen him eating my plants also. I kno my apisto would get the eggs but i didn't kno they would get them that fast. Do you guys think it would be the Falowella who got all them or my 4 apistos. By the way they are A. Borelli.

Also to move the eggs is there a way that i could scrap them off a piece of wood or would i have to move the whole thing? I am thinking about moving my Rams to a 10 gallon when my apistos start spawning.

thanks for any input, and sorry for errors i had to type this very fast

Randall

5 Year Member
Eaten eggs

Hello newworldan,

Depending on the size of your tank, the farlowella or the Apistogramma could have eaten the Mikrogeophagus ramirezi's eggs, but M. ramirezi are known egg eaters especially when they are young.

Scraping eggs off surfaces may cause more harm than good. It might be better to remove your pair of M. ramirezi--along with a few dither fish--to separate quarters and let them do their thing in peace.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

aspen

5 Year Member
dan, leave a night light on, a 15 watt nearby is sufficient. i leave a 9 watt cf lamp on in the middle of the room when there are eggs or fry in my tanks. i have kept farlowella by themselves and they will eat tetra bits and most other other types of fish food that will sink, i doubt they would refuse eggs under sleeping rams. (just my opinion, no exp with this.)

ime oto's won't touch ram eggs even with lights out. apistos will sleep the same as rams, and borellii's are no match for rams ime.

you could do no better than to leave the rams in that tank to defend their eggs and fry. they are not great parents left solely on their own ime. they will squabble and often eat the eggs so the other partner won't get them, and/or kill the other partner.

rick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(