• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Easy Summer Brine Shrimp

aarhud

5 Year Member
I picked up a tip a while back that I finally tried this summer. A fellow hobbyist told me that he discards his brine shrimp hatch water into a glass container outside. The shrimp grow out and you get various sizes.

I filled a 12" cube tank with roughly 3-4 gallons of salt water and then added my waste brine shrimp water. I used waste water from my reef tank. I have been dumping my brine shrimp hatchery water outside for several weeks now and the tank is full of various sized shrimp. I have not added any kind of food. There is algae covering the glass walls and a few bugs/leaves make it into the tank.

If you do not have a ton of fish to feed, this is a neat little trick to avoid having to hatch brine shrimp daily. I am using the shrimp to feed killifish so it does not take much.

I'm thinking about trying a powdered algae to feed and increasing the container size.

Just wanted to share this.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
cool. thanks for sharing.
i need to start experimenting with some of these live food cultures. so far i have only been scooping mosquito larvae from my outdoor tank.

-r

aarhud

5 Year Member
That's a good tip - what kind of outdoor temps are you having?
Temps have been everywhere from 80-95+.

cool. thanks for sharing.
i need to start experimenting with some of these live food cultures. so far i have only been scooping mosquito larvae from my outdoor tank.

-r

I feed mosquito larva too. But with the high heat, I am overly cautious about not letting them develop and so I end up dumping a lot of them on the ground.

yukondog

5 Year Member
Put them in the fridge, that way they don't morph and you can finish collecting later when your ready. Sometimes I put them in the fridge before collecting it slows them way down and makes collecting easier.

yukondog

5 Year Member
No, no more dead things in the house unless it's field dressed, she hit the roof when she found a dead fox and 2 coons in the freezer.
I have 2 shops that have the bulk of my tanks and a fridge in one of them where I do all the collecting and freezing.

aarhud

5 Year Member
No, no more dead things in the house unless it's field dressed, she hit the roof when she found a dead fox and 2 coons in the freezer.
I have 2 shops that have the bulk of my tanks and a fridge in one of them where I do all the collecting and freezing.

I keep a few frozen mallards in the freezer for dog training. I consider myself lucky that my wife puts up with that, so I'll keep fish critters out of the fridge haha!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….