• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dwarf Pike

lucky_13

5 Year Member
So here are my latest purchase. I've been wanting a pair of dwarf pike for a while and my dealer finally got a couple pairs.

SANY0975.jpg

SANY0978.jpg

SANY0981.jpg

lucky_13

5 Year Member
she's got the name written up on the tank. i'm going back in today and i'll write it down, i dont remember what it is. starts with a W.

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
she's got the name written up on the tank. i'm going back in today and i'll write it down, i dont remember what it is. starts with a W.

Well that would make it Crenicichla wallacii, have to admit I wouldn't be to sure on this ID though. Haven't kept them myself but the size of the caudal spot is much bigger than those shown in the images I have access to and the fish looks a bit too 'heavily built' for the typical dwarf shape??

I wouldn't be fortunate enough that you and these fish are in the UK :wink:

Andrew

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I am not very experienced with dwarf pike species, but it certainly does not look like A. wallacii - or any A.-wallacii-group species (dwarf pike) that I have seen pictures of. I may be wriong, but I wouldn't be surprised if these "dwarfs" grow well over 8"/20cm.

lucky_13

5 Year Member
yeah, wallacii is what they're labled as. they are already spawning age at about 4" she had another in a sepperate tank with a big belly full of eggs that was smaller than my female.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I could be wrong but I agree that they don't look like any Dwarf Pikes am familiar with but the small spawning size is puzzling. They may be a variety of C. wallacii but my experience has been that the C. wallacii being sold in the PNW all turned out to be C. regani.

They do resemble a Dwarf I haven't seen except in Aqualog SA Cichlids I, Crenicichlicla urosema.

Azur

5 Year Member
Hard to tell without seeing the dorsal, but this strikes me as a pretty good match:
http://www.geocities.com/napavalley/5491/proteuspage.html

I wouldn't put too much weight on size at first spawn, many cichlids start spawning at a very young age, long before reaching adult size - Oreochromis mossambica, for instance, may start breeding at 2" but eventually grows over 10".

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Hard to tell without seeing the dorsal, but this strikes me as a pretty good match:
http://www.geocities.com/napavalley/5491/proteuspage.html

I wouldn't put too much weight on size at first spawn, many cichlids start spawning at a very young age, long before reaching adult size - Oreochromis mossambica, for instance, may start breeding at 2" but eventually grows over 10".

I think you and the others who think it is a large species that happened to spawn at a small size are correct.

The example of this sort of thing you chose was my first Cichlid I ever bred. I had them when I was 11 years old. I had a 10 inch male and was surprised when the first fry began spawning for me at only 2-1/2 inches.
They were the first egglaying fish I raised. Goes back about 45 years ago.

lucky_13

5 Year Member
i talked to my fish lady the other day and she said that the pike i got were NOT Wallacii, a previous batch of pike had been wallacii, but these are not. so i agree that they are Proteus. however, she maintains they will only reach 6" max. but as a precaution, after they spawn, i plan to sepperate the male with a divider so that he will not kill the female after an article i read said they have that bad habbit. i don't really care about fry right now and will not give them any special treatment. if any survive i might try to sell them online.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….