• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

driftwood fungus dangerous to eggs ?

rawdog

5 Year Member
I have a few pieces of driftwood in my breeding tank setup, 1 pair of aggassizi - the wood came from another established tank with a pleco so ofcourse it was fungus free

the wood now seems to be getting that white "snowed on" (i think it's called fungus) look

my appisto eggs disappeared today (hoping they have been moved but i doubt it)

is this wood fungus the same as what can fungus eggs ? - the eggs were very vibrant pink

also would the addition of snails clean the wood ?

thanks !

mooman

5 Year Member
What? I was under the impression that apistos had no problems defending against snails? Can someone else weigh in on this? I have apistos in a 10g planted tanks with quite a few small trumpet snails. The pair of panduro I had in there had fertile spawns several times with no free swimming fry. At the time, I asked the question whether the snails could be the culprits and was told no. Anyone?

rawdog

5 Year Member
i am suprised by egg snatching snails too, i bred cacatuoides accidently in a communty tank with snails and all sorts of fish, the female cac had all her tankmates hiding in 1 corner of the tank !

I have also bred peacock gudgeons accidently with snails.

better safe than sorry though, horrible little creatures i can live without them

so no info on the wood fungus ?

oh well thanks for not pretending to know all about it :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Since no one else has commented, I will. Fungus species (in the aquarium - not on fish) usually will attack any available dead organic material. Even highly colorful eggs can be infertile. My guess is that there was something wrong with the breeding environment & the female ate the eggs. Female regularly clean material - including fungus - off their eggs.

rawdog

5 Year Member
thanks mike
most of the wood fungus is gone now anyway - she's very thorough !
they bred the the second day i got them, so they were still a bit spooked by my presence, that could have been a cause.

now they have realised i am cool they might keep their next batch :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….