• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how to hatch apisto agassizi eggs?

Benjamin Lee

hello,

so my apistogramma agassizi have spawned twice this week and both times the eggs have disappeared. i'm wondering if my pleco or the other apistos ate the eggs. the eggs tend to disappear at night. does anyone have tips in how i can increase my hatch from from 0% to anything? i really want to spawn these fish but just haven't had much luck yet...

i have a 40 gallon breeder with 2 roseline shark, 1 bristlenose pleco, and 3 apistogramma

here are some solutions that i've been thinking about.

- buying a breeding box and with the first sign of eggs moving the mom and eggs into it?
- remove the pleco in case it's the one eating the eggs?
- remove the male apisto?

thanks,
ben

yukondog

5 Year Member
I know my Pleco. will eat all the eggs pretty quick, removed him and eggs hatch. If your wanting fry I would remove all of them and through in some dithers, I use guppy's.

Benjamin Lee

so i isolated the pleco and my female laid eggs again but day by day the eggs would be less and less.

is my female apisto eating them?
is she eating because they are infertile?
the eggs are an amber red and i have a sexed male in the tank as well.
how do i get her to stop eating?
is it possible to artificially hatch the eggs without the mom?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You could have any of a number of causes for egg loss. Females often take 1, 2, 3 or more spawn s before they get it right. Not knowing your water values, this might be a problem, too. IMHO if you can see the eggs then the spawning site is too exposed. This can stress the female, especially if she can see potential egg predators. Better for her to eat them and get the nutrition than another fish. It takes quite a bit of care and attention to get apiso eggs to hatch and become freeswimming fry without their mother. For me, artificially hatching the eggs of aggies (or most commercially available apistos) is not worth the effort.

Benjamin Lee

You could have any of a number of causes for egg loss. Females often take 1, 2, 3 or more spawn s before they get it right. Not knowing your water values, this might be a problem, too. IMHO if you can see the eggs then the spawning site is too exposed. This can stress the female, especially if she can see potential egg predators. Better for her to eat them and get the nutrition than another fish. It takes quite a bit of care and attention to get apiso eggs to hatch and become freeswimming fry without their mother. For me, artificially hatching the eggs of aggies (or most commercially available apistos) is not worth the effort.
thanks for the input! i'll just wait it out and hopefully get a successful spawn.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….