• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dr. Herbert Axelrod flees to Cuba

Randall

5 Year Member
Hello all,

The following article is the headline story of today's Star-Ledger:

http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-14/1082625492176341.xml?starledger?ntop

Gee!

Randall Kohn

Addendum:

Today, Sunday, April 25, The Star-Ledger prints a highly detailed news article, A Life of Money and Myths, concerning Herbert Axelrod. In it some well-known persons offer an insider's look at their experiences with Dr. Axelrod.

http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-14/10828822658930.xml?starledger?ntop

RK

jonah

5 Year Member
I was really surprised to hear he was still alive, let alone on the run. His name has been such a major part of the hobby it seems like he would be much older than 76.

apisto85

5 Year Member
I have to say that i understand wery wel why he fleeded. Nobody want's to spend the few remaining years they have in a prison away from the lovedones

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I heard him speak and had the chance to meet Herbert Axelrod many years ago. He is very articulate and very very intelligent. He is undoubtedly the most influential person in the aquarium hobby of the past century. I do not believe that the hobby or the industry would be what it is today, in the USA or the world, were it not for the work of Axelrod to publish as much as he did...

That being said... he has always struck me as a bit of a jerk.

He ended the talk I heard with a Q and A session. He was asked what he liked best of all the things that had accomplished in aquariums and music. His response was "the money...". I cannot fault the man for being honest...

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I first became interested in aquariums when I was very young. I think I started reading Dr. Axlerods books as soon as I out grew Dr. Seuss' books. Back then you could find many, many of his small (but informative) paperback books that sold in most department stores for less than a buck, making them affordable for even a little kid with his weekly allowance. :wink:

I think his books were the main factor in the depth of my interest in aquarium fish. I was always especially fascinated with stories, of his fish collecting trips on the amazon, that he included in many of his books.

Can't blame him for skipping town. I'm sure he has better things to do with his few remaining years than to follow the Martha Stewart route.

Michael

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Axelrod travelled extensively. He is responsible for setting up research and collecting stations in the Amazon. The TFH magazines from the 60's, 70's and 80's have a lot of articles about his trips.. with pictures of him at the locations.

awholley

5 Year Member
Yes, I still remember the first issue of TFH Magazine I had back in the late 60's. I think it was the Jan '67 issue, with a Honey Dwarf Gourami on the cover. There was an article in there about a collecting trip to South America that really fired my interest. I very nearly went to college to study icthyology.

jonah

5 Year Member
tjudy said:
Axelrod travelled extensively. He is responsible for setting up research and collecting stations in the Amazon. The TFH magazines from the 60's, 70's and 80's have a lot of articles about his trips.. with pictures of him at the locations.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….