• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Different species vs. pH

F

frodejo

Hi.
I’ve got a 65 gallon densely planted tank that I want to add some Apistogramma into. The water is very soft and has a pH between 6 and 7. I don’t want to lower the pH… What species can I have in this set-up? I do not want A. cacatuoides, A. agazissi or A. borelli, as I have tried them before and want to try some new species.
I’m thinking of A. trifaciata or A. linkei. Any other suggestions?
Can I have more than one species in the tank at the same time?

Frode from Norway

Randall

5 Year Member
65-Gallon Setup

Dear Frode,

With a 65-gallon densely planted tank, it is possible to successfully house two or, perhaps, three Apisto pairs of different species. You might even try trios of two species. Should you opt to house different species, it might be a good idea to select fish where the females can be distinguished from one another, because so many look very similar.

A. viejita females have black markings on their undersides and are easily distinguished from other species. A. macmasteri females usually have reddish boarders on the top and bottom of their caudal fins. Both of these species are very beautiful, but then again, so are many others.

Which ever species you choose, it is important to set up multiple cave spawning sites to reduce friction between the species.

Best of luck!

Randall Kohn

Neil

frodejo,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

The conditions in your tank are pretty much ideal for the husbandry of most Apistogramma species, so what you choose this time around is a matter of your own preferances. If you are going to think about breeding, then things are narrowed a little. Both trifasciata and linkei are very nice fish. But, including all the species-forms, you have several hundred fish to chose from. I think your decision will obviously depend also on what is available to you in Norway (or close by).
I agree with Randall. You can easily keep 2 small groups (trios) and probably 3 different pairs in a tank that size. But, if you decide to go with several species, you should consider similar requirements and aggression as well as physical appearance. The 2 you mentioned above are fine, but a few others may cause you some problems. Like many of the norberti and nijsenni type fish.
Neil
Neil

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….