• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dicrossus filamentosus ?

joestreich

A little background. My boss wanted to set up a fish tank in the office. He had a 20 gal at home so he brought it in. He wanted me to help him set it up and help him with fish selection. that might have been a mistake on his part. i will take this oppertunity to put fish in there that i am interested in. If it were up him he would have neon tetras and a red tailed shark. I quickly let him know that that was not going to happen.

Would Dicrossus filamentosus with a school of small tetras be alright in a 20 gal tank? I know you guys and gals have and have seen a lot of setups so if you had another suggestion I am all ears.....or eyes in this case.

Water Parameters are pH 7, TDS 140, planted aquarium, nitrate 0, nitrite 0 just set up so i do have to cycle it yet.

Joel

Mud Pie Mama

5 Year Member
Hi Joel, is this a 20 regular, 20 long, or 20 tall. Each one has a different footprint.

For my own experience, I started w/ three D. filamentosus in a 35g planted hex, one became a bully and relentlessly chased the other two. One of the chased cowered in the underbrush and almost never would come out; the other endlessly zipped away from Mr. Bully. I then purchased all the rest my LFS had, giving me eight total. But, I moved them into a 75g planted, and they all did well w/o any more obvious bullying.

How many were you planning on housing in this 20g? That may influence how they interact. And, again, any species of cichlid can show quite a range of individual personalities. Meaning, sometimes you can just end up w/ a BRAT!

joestreich

thanks for the info mud pie mama, the foot print of the tank is 2 foot by 1 foot.

I am not sure how many i was thinking of putting in there. I was waiting to hear personal experience of people who have dealt with this fish. I really was thinking more of a pair, but that doesnt sound like a good idea, after hearing what you went thru. There are always apistos!

Thanks again for your reply

Joel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If it were me, I would put in a less demanding but colorful species like A. borellii Opal or a domestic red variety of A. cacatuoides. This is supposed to be a community tank. People will want to see pretty fish. Successful breeding is optional.

joestreich

ok, i do have a pair of Apisto panduro that ia m looking to move. i could use these guys in htat tank. The big question now is what to put in with them any suggestions?

Joel

Gillie

5 Year Member
Although panduro are a very attractive fish they probably would not be the best choice for such a small community tank. They would probably end up spawning in the tank and anything else would probably die. This is just from my experiences with them though.

Bev N

Apisto Club
5 Year Member
I'd be afraid they would be a problem too. I have put borelli, cacatuoides, hongsloi and rams in community tanks. Some have spawned and have even gotten fry to freeswimming. Even defending their young they have not done damage to the angelfish, discus, barbs and whatever else I've tossed in there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….