• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dicrossus Filamentosus

Phil O'Sofical

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice on how to hatch Dwarf Checkerboards please. I have a species-only set-up of one male with three females who all seem to be spawning on a regular basis... at one point all 3 laid eggs on the same day. However, over a period of 2-3 days the eggs always disappear... presumably eaten.

I've tried moving the eggs (still attached to plant/leaf) and mother to separate small tank but still no joy.

It's been suggested that I try detaching the leaf & eggs and placing them in an egg-tumbler. Has anyone else had any success with this method?

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks,
Phil

Mol_PMB

This happens to me a lot. They spawn frequently but the eggs usually vanish - at least once I have actually seen the mother eating them after the appearance of a threat (in this case an assassin snail) or a water-change.

I haven't tried hatching them separately. The eggs and the newly hatched fry are very tiny, I'm not sure if they would do well without the close care of the mother. I've only ever had one brood hatch, but Mum nurtured them really well, they grew well and I have sold the juveniles on now.

Phil O'Sofical

Thanks for the feedback!

How did the male react to the brood that hatched?

I find that when the female has spawned she chases everything away, including the male... But actually he makes no attempt to bother her or the eggs whereas usually he's hyper-active and interested in everything.

Unless anyone else advises me otherwise I think I'll try the tumbler. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,
Phil

Mol_PMB

Mine were the same - the female consistently chased the male away, and also chased and nipped the Farlowellas that were also in the tank. Quite a sight to see a 1.5" fish successfully attacking a 7" fish!
It's quite different with my Pelvicachomis subocellatus where the male helps to look after the young.

One other thing - how soft and acidic is your water? Aim for about pH 4.5 with negligible hardness. They may be eating the eggs because the water parameters aren't right for them to hatch.

Phil O'Sofical

Yeah, I wondered the same thing about the water quality. I was in the process of trying to lower the pH when they started spawning and was reluctant to play around with it any further, or to do significant water changes, while they were laying.

The strange thing is that the mothers seem to be tending the eggs well... They are protecting the area and fanning the eggs regularly and this latest batch looked really good for almost 2 days.

Think I need now need to focus back on the water quality and to find a way of making the situation less stressed. On thing I have noticed however is that they love to spawn on new plants. The tank it quite well planted with Anubis but whenever I add a new plant they seem to prefer to lay on that rather than an existing one. By adding small plants in pots I may be able to transfer the eggs, and the mum, somewhere more suitable to aid hatching.

Mol_PMB

Yes, 2 days is about how long most of mine lasted!

I've now got at least two spawning pairs in different tanks, but no more fry yet.

Have a look at my 'Dicrossus Filamentosus - sexing and advice' thread for my story, which might contain some helpful info. Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….