• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dicrossus filamentosus - sexing and advice?

rr16

5 Year Member
Very interesting. It was your fish that inspired me to buy Farlowella. Only got 2 left now, but no sign of spawning yet (plus I have no idea what gender they are!).

Mol_PMB

My male Farlowella is guarding 51 eggs laid last night :)
I've also got two juveniles at 3.5" and 12 fry at 0.75" at the moment. Survival rates aren't great!
Mine are F.vittata and are easy to sex - the male has a wide hairy nose and the female has a longer thinner smooth nose with a knob on the end. I'll dig out a comparative photo later for you.

Mol_PMB

This evening I watched one of the pairs of Dicrossus filamentosus preparing to spawn. This is in the busy Rio Negro community tank where they have spawned at least twice before, but the eggs don't tend to last long. In this tank their preferred sites are on Hydrocotyle leucocephala leaves relatively near the surface. Here are a couple of photos; you can see the female's ovipositor ready as they clean the leaves in preparation for spawning.

Attachments

• Dicrossus_preparing_1.jpg
    Dicrossus_preparing_1.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 481
  • Dicrossus_preparing_3.jpg
    Dicrossus_preparing_3.jpg
    484.8 KB · Views: 476
  • Dicrossus_preparing_5.jpg
    Dicrossus_preparing_5.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 482

Mol_PMB

Also, sorry, I realise I had forgotten to upload a photo showing the difference between the sexes of F.vittata.
Here are a couple of pics of mine. Sorry about the reflections on the first one but it does very clearly show the difference between the nose of the female compared to the males either side. The female's nose is long, thin and smooth while the males have broader hairy noses. These are adults, about 6" to 7" long. The female is very gravid in this picture.

The second picture shows two of their offspring, about 3.5" to 4" total length and 7 months old. At this age the sexual dimorphism is just starting to become apparent. Female on the left, male on the right.

Attachments

• twigs_jostling_2a.jpg
    twigs_jostling_2a.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 442
  • Girl+Boy_Twiglets.jpg
    Girl+Boy_Twiglets.jpg
    609.7 KB · Views: 428

Mol_PMB

My last post to this thread was just over a year ago.
Back in July 2015 I had moved four Dicrossus Filamentosus into my 240L community tank, which already housed two adult males.
Three of these were small fish bought from Aqualife in about February 2015 and the other was one of my own fry spawned in March 2015. All appeared female.
They spawned a couple of times with the older males but the eggs were eaten, and the older males died off a couple of months later. The four fish all continued to look like females in shape and colour (smaller, shorter, red pectorals, no fin filaments, plainer colours), and until recently I was convinced they were all females.
Now, 15 months after putting them in the tank and about a year after the old males died, I have a male again! No doubt about it, tail filaments, getting colourful, growing bigger. The fish are at least 18 months old and all grew up looking like females.

I had read about these fish changing sex, but also read some studies saying it was just that juvenile males look a bit like females. I can't scientifically prove one of the females has become a male, but that's what my observations indicate.

gerald

5 Year Member
If the current "male" continued to look like a female for a YEAR after the older males died, it probably WAS a female. I think a "suppressed" male would have started showing male characteristics within a couple months. Now the question remains whether he/she has become a functional male capable of fertilizing another female's eggs, or just an androgynous inter-sex fish who looks and acts male but is lacking in sexual performance. We look forward to hearing more about this guy!

Mol_PMB

Yes, it's been about a year since the older males died, and the fish is between 18 months and 2 years old.
Here are some mediocre pics I took this afternoon. I'll try to get some better ones over the next few days.

Attachments

• Transexual_Dicrossus_1.jpg
    Transexual_Dicrossus_1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 398
  • Transgender_dicrossus_2.jpg
    Transgender_dicrossus_2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 391
  • Dicrossus_group_1.jpg
    Dicrossus_group_1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 394
  • Dicrossus_group_2.jpg
    Dicrossus_group_2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 451

Mol_PMB

Some better pictures of the boy this evening, including two pics of him chasing one of the girls.

Attachments

• male_dicrossus_3.jpg
    male_dicrossus_3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 393
  • male_dicrossus_5.jpg
    male_dicrossus_5.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 403
  • male_dicrossus_6.jpg
    male_dicrossus_6.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 402
  • male_dicrossus_7.jpg
    male_dicrossus_7.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 414

Mol_PMB

Just bought 4 of these again. Nice to have them back.
Great!
I've moved my transsexual male and two females into a 50L tank on their own, and I'm gradually lowering pH and conductivity while increasing tannins.

The third female became an expert at evading capture so is still in the 240L community!

Mol_PMB

Much showing-off and chasing going on; a few pics here but photographic conditions are challenging in the blackwater.

I put two females and the trans-sexual male in here; one of the females is missing. Possibly on eggs already and now the male is chasing the other one?

Attachments

• Male_dicrossus_3.jpg
    Male_dicrossus_3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 379
  • Dicrossus_Pair.jpg
    Dicrossus_Pair.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 379
  • Dicrossus_pair_a.jpg
    Dicrossus_pair_a.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 386
  • Dicrossus_pair_b.jpg
    Dicrossus_pair_b.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 365
  • Dicrossus_Pair_3.jpg
    Dicrossus_Pair_3.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 448

Mol_PMB

Well, it's happened! We have babies, from my group that all looked like females for a year, and then one became a male :)
They are very hard to photograph in the gloom of the tannin-stained water.
Here's the least bad I've managed so far.

Attachments

• Dicrossus_mum+fry_2.jpg
    Dicrossus_mum+fry_2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 385
  • Dicrossus_mum+fry_3.jpg
    Dicrossus_mum+fry_3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 389
  • Dicrossus_fry3.jpg
    Dicrossus_fry3.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 364

Mol_PMB

Some updated and better pics of the fry.
I think there are about 20 of them in total.

Attachments

• dicrossus_mum+fry_22-02-17f.jpg
    dicrossus_mum+fry_22-02-17f.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 395
  • dicrossus_mum+fry_22-02-17g.jpg
    dicrossus_mum+fry_22-02-17g.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 371

Mol_PMB

16 tiny fry last week have become 7 bigger fry this week. I am feeding microworms, freshly hatched BBS and rotifers.

I found a baby kuhli loach in a different tank this evening, and the Farlowellas spawned again this morning. Must be something in the water...

Attachments

• Dicrossus_mum+fry-2.jpg
    Dicrossus_mum+fry-2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 368
  • Dicrossus_fry-2.jpg
    Dicrossus_fry-2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 347
  • Dicrossus_mum+fry_again.jpg
    Dicrossus_mum+fry_again.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 358
  • Dicrossus_fry_3-3-17a.jpg
    Dicrossus_fry_3-3-17a.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 353
  • Dicrossus_fry_3-3-17b.jpg
    Dicrossus_fry_3-3-17b.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 353
  • Dicrossus_fry_3-3-17c.jpg
    Dicrossus_fry_3-3-17c.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 354
  • Dicrossus_fry_3-3-17.jpg
    Dicrossus_fry_3-3-17.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 358

Mol_PMB

Kuhli loach babies are exciting! I don't hear about them breeding in aquaria too often.
I'd seen them spawning several times (and took a video of it once) but I was not expecting any eggs to survive the hungry mouths. But one must have made it because when I emptied the tank yesterday I found a little one as well as all the adults.

Attachments

• Baby_loach_small.jpg
    Baby_loach_small.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 346
  • Baby_loach_2_small.jpg
    Baby_loach_2_small.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 348

Mol_PMB

Another Dicrossus spawn yesterday. In the background Mum guards the eggs laid on a leaf, while in the foreground one of the previous batch of fry is visible. I'm not sure if it's from the same Mum - there are three females and one male in the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_0545.JPG
    IMG_0545.JPG
    956.4 KB · Views: 340

Mol_PMB

The new spawn has hatched but is not yet free-swimming and Mum is guarding them on the Anubias leaf. Meanwhile the survivors of the previous spawn are starting to get their chequerboard pattern and are now just about big enough to tackle grindalworms.

:)

Attachments

• Dicrossus_new_fry.jpg
    Dicrossus_new_fry.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 333
  • Dicrossus_old_fry_1.jpg
    Dicrossus_old_fry_1.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 320
  • Dicrossus_old_fry_2.jpg
    Dicrossus_old_fry_2.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 309
  • Dicrossus_old_fry_3.jpg
    Dicrossus_old_fry_3.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 290
  • Dicrossus_old_fry_4.jpg
    Dicrossus_old_fry_4.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 276
  • Dicrossus_old_fry_5.jpg
    Dicrossus_old_fry_5.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 280

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….