• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Deformities in Apisto cacatuoides "triple red"

degrassi

5 Year Member
I'm new to Apistos and bought 2 trios through a group order from out of town. Since recieving them I've wondered about a couple of them, mainly the male. His mouth looks deformed, long with his fins and "cheeks". Since i'm new to apistos, I thought he looked weird but wasn't 100% sure. I recently saw some of the same kind of apisto at a LFS and they definately looked different then mine. Here are a couple pics I took right after i added them to the tank a couple months ago. They aren't the best but it kind of shows the problems I'm talking about.

In this pic you are clearly see his weird mouth and "cheeks", also his dorsal fin is kind of bent.
apisto3.jpg

This pic shows his bent dorsal a bit better. The back tip has a kink in it. I haven't seen any pics of apistos where their dorsals looked like that. His pectoral fins also have an agle to them. Definately not the clean,straight fins i've seen in pics.
apistoapr10th.jpg

So am I correct in thinking he doesn't look right?

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
No expert, but could some of the fin problems be from fins "melting" during shipping? His colours look good, but I'm not sure I would pick him as a breeder unless you are prepared to destroy the whole spawn if they don't turn out right.

degrassi

5 Year Member
I dont' think his fin problems are from "melting". I had another male that died shortly after recieving them that had the same problem. I have also talked with some other people that also got some apistos in the group order and some of them also showed similar problems. So i think its just a case of a breeder selling fish that should have been culled.

fishfarm

5 Year Member
That's a cull for sure. Line breed Cacs are bad about have such deformaties and people just keep breeding them anyway. Cull any like that and never buy from that source again. Ken

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….