• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Define: Triple from Double

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
If I am not mistaken a double red has color in the dorasl and caudial fin and a trippe has those plus the anal fin? I could be wrong

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
You understand correctly, as far as I remember it.

Double - red on caudal and dorsal.
Triple - red on caudal, dorsal, and anal.

Travis_Conklin

5 Year Member
Thank you

Thank you, I was pretty sure of it. But I saw some pictures today where the Apisto's had red on their ventral fins also. So I was a little concerned, I may have been wrongly advertiseing mine. I had a great spawn. 57 last count have lost a few since, but I think it is due to agression. Ready to sell pairs this weekend. They are about 3 months old. Been loading them with Daphnia and BBS. Thanks again.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I spawned a pair of Apistogramma cacatuoides about 4 months ago. Male Triple Red X Female Gold. I raised 150 to adult size and most of them look like triple Reds but a fair number inherited yellow dorsal fins with red and black at the apex area. Similar to the Male Gold that I lost except it lacked any black. The males out numbered the females by about two to one. Many fry can be lost to aggression unless steps are taken from the beginning to raise them in a tank with many hides and plenty of space. I use the hollow ceramic tubes ceramic biomedia to provide more hides than there are fry as my SOP for raising Apistos because the males are more aggressive from the very beginning and soon over take the females in size. This method greatly increases the numbers of survivors for me.
By the time the fry no longer can hide inside the tubes they begin to be sexable. I started them out in one 40 gal after I removed them from the ten gal spawning tank. Once sexes were easy to distinguish I divided them up among four 40 gal tanks. It is necessary to never crowd them in order to prevent stunting and achieve maximum potential growth rates.

All I really wanted was enough to breed the F1 from this cross to recover my all Gold morph.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….