• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sex ratio

FabianUlSua

So my big batch of Cacatuoides triple red are maturing now (3 months and a half) and I think I got all females from 60ish fish, all of them seem to be getting really red fins but the fins are still short and looking like really colorful females.
First month since fry swimming I kept them on 26-27c on 7.3ph.
What are the odds of getting all females?
Is it normal for females to develop full red fins?

FabianUlSua

This is the biggest one I got, there is no way that's a female right? He was guarding eggs for the second time yesterday so it got me wondering lol

Attachments

• 20230718_185546.jpg
    20230718_185546.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 66

MacZ

I feel like a broken record, but alas:
Domestic colour breeds of A. cacatuoides are known to show male attributes in females: Partially or fully coloured fins, a developed lyre tail caudal fin, less so developed high dorsals. Also the females become bigger in recent years. All due to inbreeding by so-called hobby breeders and linebreeding in massproducing fish farms.

Usually the ratio of females in a spawn goes up, when temp goes down, but temperature is not the only factor. Hormone values in the water due to few and small waterchanges and the hormone levels in the female during spwaning have influence as well.

FabianUlSua

I feel like a broken record, but alas:
Domestic colour breeds of A. cacatuoides are known to show male attributes in females: Partially or fully coloured fins, a developed lyre tail caudal fin, less so developed high dorsals. Also the females become bigger in recent years. All due to inbreeding by so-called hobby breeders and linebreeding in massproducing fish farms.

Usually the ratio of females in a spawn goes up, when temp goes down, but temperature is not the only factor. Hormone values in the water due to few and small waterchanges and the hormone levels in the female during spwaning have influence as well.
Ty, looking at it closer for a while I noticed the fins are becoming pretty pointy and the other apistos on that tank (all females) are kinda of displaying their bellies to the one on the picture, I guess only time will tell if it is a male, if it turns out to be a female then she is hugeee lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….