• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Currently converting

Nick

I'm in the process of converting my series of tanks from Tanganyikan to Amazonian. This is, I know, a massive change and will take some time but I would love to know if anyone else has made a similar leap. I am an old hand with blackwater species but have never tried to dedicate myself to them in a hard water area.
Is rain water still considered too filthy?
Does anyone want to do an opposite swap? I have some great pieces of limestone to swap for bogwood.
I've also got some amazing Tanganyikans to sell/ swap.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Is rain water still considered too filthy?
I've used it without a problem since the 1970's, but I've always lived somewhere rural, western and fairly wet.

It probably depends a little bit where you live. In the UK a lot of former industrial areas, where the rain was pretty disgusting, have been "cleaned up" by the destruction of the UK's manufacturing base. Most of the problems we have now are with pesticides in intensive arable agricultural areas.

I use the <"Daphnia bioassay"> as my "Canary", and it works.

cheers Darrel

Evan

5 Year Member
It was quite a few years ago but I also converted from Tanganyikan.

I ended up setting up an RODI system.

Nick

Guys. Many thanks for your responses. I have vast areas of roof to harvest rainwater but need to set up gutters and water butts. My initial plan is to convert a couple of small tanks and establish the "House Tank" so that I have quarantine space to prepare fish for the big one.
The big one is a whopper. 6' x 2' x 30" and my other tanks will be put over to breeding Apistos and cats. The 2 other large tanks will possibly be sold or dedicated to Balzanii, Uaru or similar.
I have been away from Amazon fish for far too long but I would love to bounce a few ideas about with regard to the big tank.
My plan is as follows and assumes that tank bred fish bring fewer disease risks.
Shoal of Tefe Green discus.
Shoal of Altum angels.
Trios of 2 or 3 different apistos.
Spotted headstanders.
Marble hatchets.
Various tetra shoals to include Copella arnoldi.
Sturisoma aureum.
Cory (What are the best species at the moment?)
Pencilfish. Same question as the cory.
This will be a planted and well wooded tank with a DISPLAY priority but paired or mature fish will be whipped out for breeding.
This one will be filtered by an under tank sump filter driven by a small pond pump.
The small tanks will be sponge filtered.
I am as happy to learn that my ideas are stupid as I am to learn that they are brilliant. Every day is a school day and I prefer learning over disaster.
Happy fish mean happy aquarists.
N.

Cozens

Can't help with much on that list but I really like the Coral Red Pencilfish. Stunning deep reds and look great in shoals/schools and are ideal ditherfish for the apistos

Nick

I hadn't come across them before so just had a look online. Great suggestion and they really will sparkle in the set up I have in mind.
Thanks Cozens.
The more I think about it and gather ideas the more I realise that the display tank is going to be amazing.
N.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….