• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cupramine and Black Beard Algae

Skiploder

5 Year Member
Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience:

My 125 gallon N. Christyi tank is lightly planted with several varieties of sword, and some wisteria. I have basically taken cuttings from my planted tanks and gotten them going in the tang tank. The lighting is low at 6700K and 130 watts (with no CO2 injection).

When I added the swords, I apparently introduced some BBA into the tank. It quickly began growing on the rocks, filter in and outlets and the edges of the leaves. Algaefix did nothing to stem the growth, nor did phosphatre sponges, pruning etc.

At about the height of the infestation, my school of cyps began exhibiting signs of an external parasitic infection. My LFS recommended Seachem's Cupramine based on the types of plants in the tank and the fact I have no inverts in this set-up.

The Cupramine not only worked like a charm on the parasites, but we started noticing that the BBA was dramatically dying back. After 2 weeks of treatment the once thick growth on the rocks was about 75% gone, and areas that receive current from spray bars and powerheads were totally clear. Growth on the edges of the plants is now also negligible.

In fact, after two weeks, I had to clean the grates on the bottom baskets of my eheim 2128 and xp3 filters due to the amount of dead algae clogging the squares.

I realize that Cupramine and other copper treatments are fatal to some plants, but I had no idea it killed BBA so efficiently. Again, just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences with the stuff............

aspen

5 Year Member
i am not a fan of using copper meds, but that seems like quite a nice idea. maybe you could give a little more info, like did you go the full 14 days recomended on the bottle?

i would be very wary using copper based meds with discus in the tank. a test kit would be worth the money when using copper.

rick

Skiploder

5 Year Member
7 days, 35% water change, redosed based on volume of water removed/added back in. After 7 days, BBA on the edges of the leaves of the swords was beginning to recede. Luxurious mats of algae on driftwood and rocks began to fall out in clumps.

Another 8 days, followed by 35% water change then removed with Cuprasorb.

The initial dose of Cupramine was given over a 48 hour period. I basically dosed, waited 24 hours, took Cu readings, and adjusted second dose based on levels achieved with the first dose. Second dosing was performed 48 hours after first.

Will run Cuprasorb in my filters for an additional 30 days to account for any leaching out of Cu from rocks, etc.

BBA was almost 90% gone 14 days after I ended the treatment. The remaining BBA on driftwood has come off with ridiculous ease. It also totally eradicated the duckweed in the tank.

There has been no new BBA growth.

The swords, the wisteria and the java moss are doing fine.

There were no fish loses (4 adult N. Christyi, 18 juvenile N. Christyi, 12 cyprichromis leptosoma and five lophiobagrus brevispinis).

The algae removal results were certainly accidental.

Xanathos

5 Year Member
This is actually quite surprising that you had so great results vs ur BGA using copper, because BGA is actually able to feed from cupper :p In fact, a sign that your tap water contains cupper is when you have dark blue BGA growing with no apparent reason :p

Well, as long as you got rid of the algae, everything's fine :D

Phil

Skiploder

5 Year Member
Xanathos said:
This is actually quite surprising that you had so great results vs ur BGA using copper, because BGA is actually able to feed from cupper :p In fact, a sign that your tap water contains cupper is when you have dark blue BGA growing with no apparent reason :p

Well, as long as you got rid of the algae, everything's fine :D

Phil

BGA - Cyanobacteria - right? I was having a problem with the beard algae (BBA).

Cyanobacteria was, luckily, never a problem.

aspen

5 Year Member
very nice post skiploader. i bet more than 1 forum user is buying cuprimine right now. let us know how long it stays clean for.

rick

Xanathos

5 Year Member
Skiploder said:
BGA - Cyanobacteria - right? I was having a problem with the beard algae (BBA).

Cyanobacteria was, luckily, never a problem.

Oh.. Sorry.. my mstake :p

Phil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….