• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

crenicichla regani

Zapisto

5 Year Member
hi everybody,

I put my hand on 2 crenicichla regani at the last Ohio show.

Well now i am trying get some extra informations on theese fish.
yes i know , many site already talk about this fish , and i think i read them all.
so let's go, talk about your experience, i am ready to learn and read.

other question on feeding , i have a couple of guppy , i put in a tank to have soe fry , so i can feed the pike.
what do you give to yours ?
is it a good idea put the guppy directly in the pike tanks ?

thanks

Neil

Zapisto,

so let's go, talk about your experience, i am ready to learn and read.

OK, this is a very nice Dwarf Pike Cichlid, although they can get to be close to 6". Usually they are closer to 5" when full grown. The female is slightly smaller than the male and is easily differentiated , even at a fairly young age usually by the belly and venrtal color and sometimes the dorsal fin spots. There are numerous species-forms of C. regani (probably 10 or so) that Range all over Brazil and likely neighboring countries. They are not particularly aggressive for a pike, but can get nasty to each other at times. They should be housed in a 30g tank or ideally larger (although I have successfully keep them in a 20g. - but I am crazy). Like any cichlid, they prefer live foods, but should be fed a varied diet. And, finally enjoy them, because they are very neat fish.

other question on feeding , i have a couple of guppy , i put in a tank to have soe fry , so i can feed the pike.

I would be suprised at all if your pikes thanked you for feeding them guppys, but be warned that the guppys themselves may become the meal before they have a chance to have fry.

what do you give to yours ?

I used feeder guppys on occasion, but primarily stuck with frozen food, which I had to "sell them on" by starving them a little. And occasionally adult brine shrimp for a treat.

is it a good idea put the guppy directly in the pike tanks ?

The pikes would say, YES! The guppys would have their doubts.

Neil

Zapisto

5 Year Member
thanks neil for all your answer.

actually they have in the tanks 3 or four cave plus 2 killies mops and plants.
the male is a bit rude sometime with female.

i have my guppy in a separated tank (not crazy put them on the pike tank before ask :) )
i also got some pelvicachromis sacrimontis who normally breed a lot with a lot of fry.

so i think the pike will have nice live food often :)

i think my female is a female , because she have the black dot in the dorsal. am i correct ?

Neil

No, not necessarily. It depends on the species-form that you have. If one has the markings in the dorsal and the other doesn't, it is a good bet you have a pair at least though, as long as source was legitamate.
Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….