• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

couple ap. pertensis?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I cannot be positive from the photos, but I think the male is A. cf. pertensis. I cannot ID the other fish. It might be a female of the same species.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Females will have a lower dorsal fin, shorter ventral fins, & a paler pattern on the caudal fin. It should have the same head & mouth shape as the male, but the body is usually shorter and deeper. It should have very little or no blue color stripes around the eye or on the head in general.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The first 3 photos show A. cf. pertensis. Those with a round tip on the rear part of the dorsal fin are females (males have a pointed dorsal tip). Photo 4 shows an agassizii-group species, but the photo is too poor for identification. Photo 5 is a mixture of A. cf. pertensis + an agassizii-group species.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I cannot identify the agassizii-group fish. It might be A. pulchra, which is a member of the agassizii-group. Your photos show several male A. cf. pertensis.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
No. A. meinkeni is a very small species with low dorsal fin & heavy body. In the 1980s A. cf. pertensis was thought to be A. meinkeni. It was pictured as A. meinkeni in several books. Later it was called A. cf. meinkeni, but it is more closely related to A. pertensis. So it is more accurate to call it A. cf. pertensis.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danceblessings

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(