• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma ID needed. Maybe Velifera?

Aquaticloch

Hello all,

I picked up a pair from my LFS of a species I could not identify. This store has always atrocious labeling which I help them out with, these were labeled as "Hoignei" and "Megaptera." I believe them to be some kind of pertensis species and maybe velifera. I do know that these guys are likely true blackwater fish so I am in the process of bring the pH and Kh down.

I will add more photos of them when they are settled in my tank (this was at the LFS)

thanks,

B8847301-9776-4B67-816F-44C8CA1920AE_1_102_o.jpeg
8D78274A-D66D-4CBA-B646-EBA2E0867AB5_1_102_o.jpeg

Apistoguy52

These are always fun. Caudal spot on the first fish seems a bit too “squarish” to me. A. minima perhaps?

Not enough in the second picture for me to even fancy a guess.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Hello all,

I picked up a pair from my LFS of a species I could not identify. This store has always atrocious labeling which I help them out with, these were labeled as "Hoignei" and "Megaptera." I believe them to be some kind of pertensis species and maybe velifera.
Yes velifera (excluding the unlikely possibility of A. sp. D40).

Aquaticloch

Thank you.

Just a couple more questions.

Does anyone know what are some of the main characteristics of velifera. Speaking of the sp. d40 I only managed to find one photo of them before you mentioned them and noticed their similarities with vertical dark barring but figured they were not them due to rarity. Have they ever been seen in the hobby at all?

One thing i noticed about the males of this species is the first 3 dorsal rays are separated from the rest of the fin. Is this an injury or typical to velifera? I was just surprised as my iniridae don't demonstrate this.

Added some more pictures to show the pair and the split

IMG_0201.jpeg
IMG_0193.jpeg
IMG_0210.jpeg

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Does anyone know what are some of the main characteristics of velifera. Speaking of the sp. d40 I only managed to find one photo of them before you mentioned them and noticed their similarities with vertical dark barring but figured they were not them due to rarity. Have they ever been seen in the hobby at all?
I only know two photos of the D40 (both not very good for ID purposes) and I have no idea how to distinguish them from velifera other than by catch location. If I remember correctly they have not been in the hobby so far because they died before or soon after arriving but @Tom C will know better!

One thing i noticed about the males of this species is the first 3 dorsal rays are separated from the rest of the fin. Is this an injury or typical to velifera? I was just surprised as my iniridae don't demonstrate this.
According to this excellent source "On A. velifera the dorsal fin lappets on males are all fused into a sail like filament - except for the first dorsal spine". But I have also seen quite some males with 2 spines separated. Whether this was due to a damage or not I can't tell. In the 2nd of your new photos the dorsal seems to be damaged.

I was just surprised as my iniridae don't demonstrate this.
That's one of the differences between velifera and species of the iniridae-group.

Tom C

5 Year Member
I only know two photos of the D40 (both not very good for ID purposes) and I have no idea how to distinguish them from velifera other than by catch location. If I remember correctly they have not been in the hobby so far because they died before or soon after arriving but @Tom C will know better!
Colombia 2017. A lake connected to the Río Guaviare:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

We had company up on the fallen trees:

resizeimage.aspx

in the air:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

and along the banks:

resizeimage.aspx

The only eatable fishes for the only family living in the area, were these:

resizeimage.aspx

We found a very interesting fish here: A tiny representative for the miniature killifish genus Fluviphylax.

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

Their closest relatives are Anablepidae (four-eyed fishes) and Poeciliidae (Livebearers)!

In the shallow parts of the lake, we could lift specimens of The South American Leaf Fish (Monocirrhus polyacanthus) out of the water with our hands:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

and we found Apistogramma:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

Apistogramma sp. "D40".

As we were heading for another expedition the following days, we left all the fishes with our guide, a local experienced fish exporter. He promised to take care of them until we returned.
We don't know what he did, but when we came back to get our fishes, he told us all the fishes died.
So we didn't bring any A. sp. "D40" with us back home. And as far as I know, it has never been re-collected.
But I know where they are... :)

martin_c

5 Year Member
We found a very interesting fish here: A tiny representative for the miniature killifish genus Fluviphylax.

I've been looking out for Fluviphylax species since a long time, but unfortunately they never appear on the european market. I wonder why that is. I think they would be a great little surface fish in a south america biotope tank.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….