• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Congochromis squamiceps

candidi

5 Year Member
Hi everybody,

I bought today 1 pair of C. squamiceps, sold as Nanochromis squamiceps.

I just wanted to be sure that the genus name had change from Nanochromis to Congochromis.

Does anybody kept this specie? And do somebody have any experience with it?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Hi there,

Yes, genus name has changed from Nanochromis to Congochromis for this species.

I would like to see some photo's of your fish, particularily the female as in the past everything I have seen in the UK labelled as C. squamiceps has actually been C. sabinae.

Key difference betwen the species (the females), C. sabinae will only have 1 or 2 iridescent/refelective scales around the genital area, with C. squamiceps this iridescence extends from the genital area upwards towards the dorsal fin.

I've kept and bred C. sabinae a couple of times now and would assume that C. squamiceps will be similar for maintenance/breeding:

Adult pair in their own tank.

Tank size > 18x18x15" (46x46x38cm) (LxBxH). Silica sand substrate, potted amazon swords, caves (clay, coconut and pvc pipe) and bogwood.

Filtration equipment > Centralised sump filtration system in the fish house

Water chemistry, types of food used to condition the adults > pH ~5'ish, GH & KH not detectable (tap water passed through an HMA filter then circulated through moss peat for 24 hours prior to use). Adults fed a variety of frozen foods (bloodworm, artemia etc) and a commercial granular food.

Fry feeding details > For the first week a combination of banana worm and bbs (baby brine shrimp), therafter bbs, cyclops and whatever the parents receive as well.

Breeding tank maintenance details > centralised sump filtration, total system in excess of 3000 litres of water. Tanks 'hoovered' to remove debris (as required), combined water change of approximately 40% weekly.

Male:
congochromis_sabinae_male_080529.jpg

Female:
congochromis_sabinae_female_080529.jpg

congochromis_sabinae_female_001_080.jpg

Female with newly swimming fry:

And young at just over 5 weeks old:
congochromis_sabinae_juvies_080711.jpg

Growth rate of this species is fantastic, at 5 weeks old they are getting on for 20 to 25mm SL, not bad for a cichlid!!

Andrew

candidi

5 Year Member
Hi,

Thank you for your answer. It had help me.

Unfortunately, I found my female on the floor 2 days after buying :mad: :mad: :mad:

About the iridescent scales, she had two, if I remember good big scales from the genital area to the dorsal fin. Those scales were big. Can you say me more about that?

Heiko Bleher

5 Year Member
hi,

this is Heiko Bleher and I just saw the threat and wanted to tell you:

I discovered and collected both species already in the early 1980s and brought them back. Formerly Nanochrois squamiceps was first identified as a new species and than slowly it showed that it was the described species. But N. sabinae was only described recently (more than 20 years later) and it has the smaller silver spot, that is correct. Recently both (and some Nanochromis species) were placed in a new genus: Congochromis.

Breeding is very similar, as the two species are found nearby (the location they are found are not so far away from each other, along the upper Lualaba river in the democratic republic of the Congo), and both come from very acid, black waters (pH 4.22 to 4.55). I am just writing up the second catalogue for Russia called translated: "Bleher's Biotopes in nature and in aquaria". The English version will be available also on-line soon, same as number 1, which is already under www.aquapress-bleher.com available.

In Russia it is a grand success (10.000 copies sold in no time) and they love the natural biotopes. So for those fishes fine sand, place to hide, soft and acid water (if possible) and few plants.

Good luck, form a collector

Heiko Bleher

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….