• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Borelli Opal Temperature?

miniman

hi guys!!

Ive had my Borelli Opal pair ( and am in love!) in my tank for just over 4 days now, and they are getting more and more confident by the day.

I was just wondering what the best temperature for them is as i have heard conflicting information and want to make sure they are at the right degrees :)

Thanks in advance!

MacZ

There is no "best" temperature. But I'd say keep the permanent mean temperature at about 20-22°C, maximum 24°C. Over 24°C is ok for some weeks during summer, though. And if it drops to 18°C in winter it's also not a problem.

Last edited:

miniman

Before you do that: What are you keeping them with?
Nothing yet but espei rasboras will be going in there on Thursday. Checked their range and it’s fine. Will keep it at 23c that should be ok shouldn’t it for the apisto? I was at 25c as that’s what the lfs kept them at but they did seem lethargic. Moved to 24.5 this morning and they were a lot more active

MacZ

Trigonostigma espei are rather tropical, while A. borellii occur in subtropical climates. 23°C would be the utmost lowest temperature I'd set for them temporarily, longterm they might not be doing very well.

I proposed some other shoaling fish in that thread that do really well with A. borellii:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
In the wild A. borellii have been collected in waters between 10° to 30°C (50° to 86°) depending on collecting location and season. Obviously they are quite adaptable. Of course both extremes are harmful for long periods of time. I would go with recommended temperatures found in books (never the internet).

miniman

In the wild A. borellii have been collected in waters between 10° to 30°C (50° to 86°) depending on collecting location and season. Obviously they are quite adaptable. Of course both extremes are harmful for long periods of time. I would go with recommended temperatures found in books (never the internet).
Thanks Mike. I’ve set it for 23.5 I might drop it to 23, the espei rasboras have already been sent to me and arrive tomorrow so I can’t change them now. Hopefully they will be all happy at 23 :)

miniman

Trigonostigma espei are rather tropical, while A. borellii occur in subtropical climates. 23°C would be the utmost lowest temperature I'd set for them temporarily, longterm they might not be doing very well.

I proposed some other shoaling fish in that thread that do really well with A. borellii:
Thanks for the suggestions mate! Will keep an eye on them to see how they go.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….