• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Common deformaties in Apistogramma

Discus Man

5 Year Member
You know what, your post made me realize something that hopefully the more experienced breeders can correct or confirm.

IME, None!

No apisto I have ever had has been deformed or had deformed offspring.

My guess, moms eat the bad ones.

Anyone do artificial rearing have deformities?

RuiEstrelinha

5 Year Member
Look at the deformation Head of my only one male A. trifasciata. I hope that can I erase this deformation in the next generations....
I think this type of deformations in the head of apistogramma is very usual.

10.jpg

MC1979

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies so far guys :)

I started this topic as a bit of an eye opener for myself and others. I recently purchased a male and female A cacatuoides, the male appears to be missing the third spine on his dorsal fin :-( . It looks like a split with a slight webbing between 2 and 4 close to his body. It may have been nipped at some stage, however I've had him for over a month now with no apparent regrowth.

Hopefully some breeders can let us know, what they have come across, however I think that maybe they will not have had any problems, because they buy quality fish to begin with.

Thanks again.

farm41

5 Year Member
I had a trifasciata with a kinked spine. I have seen deformed rams too. Had a few belly skidders with the inca50 and trifasciata.

krustyart

5 Year Member
i think Discus Man was correct

I think Discus Man was correct about the parents eating the deformed ones if you let them raise the babies themselves. So far i have seen no deformitys doing it this way :!:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….