• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Collecting rainwater

Wuwuwu54

I want to get soft water fish and I live on a bed of limestone so my tap is liquid rock. I have a no income budget so have to save for very long time for RO unit. Could I collect rainwater for the tank and then in the future switch over to RO? Or would this shock the fish? Also, could I let the rainwater sit for up to a few months before I need to use it in a 55 gallon barrel or would it go bad/stale?

raymond82

It won't shock the fish if you introduce it slowly, for instance by doing your partial water changes with rainwater. I guess it depends on where you live, if the area is very urban with a lot of air pollution than rainwater might not be a good idea. When I used rainwater I used to always filter it through a carbon filter to get any heavy metals and pollution out.

raymond82

I'm not in the US so it's hard for me to help you on this one. I bought activated carbon pellets and put them in a sock and then in a small filter. Then I let the rainwater flow through for 24 hours or so. Hopefully someone from the US will be able to help you on this one, when buying activated carbon you have to be sure it's proper material.

Wuwuwu54

When you say run through do you mean you had an extra filter for it or you stick it in a panty hose and put it in with the water?

raymond82

I had a separate container filled with rainwater where I would filter the rainwater before putting it in the aquarium. I used a small filter just for the carbon filtration, indeed with a panty hose in the filter compartment.

Here's an interesting (and extensive) story about using rainwater in the aquarium:
http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/rainwater

duane stuermer

5 Year Member
I collect rainwater spring thru fall, and mix it with tap to induce breeding.
I use 2 barrels, the first allows solids from the roof to settle out, them I mix the 2nd barrels water with tap (mostly for temp adjustment), and use it straight into the tank. Really seems to charge certain fish up to breed.
079.jpg

If I let it go a while, mosquito larvae sometimes are an added bonus, and green water for fry, the barrel is also good to soak large branches before adding to the tank.

Wuwuwu54

Thanks. Would rainwater be too acidic for pelvicachromis taeniatus? That's what I'm looking at getting.

duane stuermer

5 Year Member
I use rain water mixed with tap to induce breeding for hard water Central Americans, and Betta's.
Sorry but Pelvicachromis is out of my element.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Also, could I let the rainwater sit for up to a few months before I need to use it in a 55 gallon barrel or would it go bad/stale?
The Skeptical Aquarist link is really useful. I put some Daphnia in the rain-water butt, if the Daphnia is alive the water is OK. Have a look at this: <http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37711>.

This technique, "Daphnia bioassay", is used widely in the water industry:
<http://ria.ua.pt/bitstream/10773/5040/1/_1-Hydrob_1989_188-189_403.pdf>

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….