• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Coconut shells

cootwarm

5 Year Member
A couple weeks ago, I sawed a few coconuts in half and scooped out all the meat. They're pretty dry now and I'm going to use some sandpaper on the inside of the shell then boil them. I've had a few clumps of Java Moss growing for a couple months now that I'm going to break up and attach to the outside of the shells.

My question is: What is a good size entrance hole to make in the shells? A small hole that is the size of the fish? Or a larger hole like a cave entrance?

Thanks,
Michael

Moi_Eater

5 Year Member
Hi Michael,

If you want you could experiment with different entrance hole sizes, but in my experience (which is not very extensive by the way :roll: ) fish tend to choose caves or crevices that they can just fit into. I believe this is so nothing bigger than them can get in to "their" cave.

aspen

5 Year Member
i have tried a variety of things to use for caves, and have found that fish prefer location over what ever the thing is you are providing. mostly though, a small turned- over clay pot has had the most action for my fish. it would seem this is the worst thing since it provides the least amount of cover, but it is in fact the most- spawned- in thing i have for dwarfs. but... if you put the spawning site next to a spongefilter, or the furthest place from the out flow of an aquaclear, these 2 things seem to have much more bearing on what site the pair will pick. they like the soft flow of oxygenated water around the sponge filter, and they would prefer NOT to spawn near where a power filter flows back into the tank. if you are using a power filter, turn down the flow, and give them a side of the tank with no flow and that is where they will most likely spawn. in my 35 gal (cac's plus community fish) i use an ac 300 with an impellor from a mini, and they will almost always pick the end opposite from the filter.

rick

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
If I cut the nuts in half, I prefer not to make a hole. I set it in the gravel so that one edge is up of the bottom about 1/2".

miquel

5 Year Member
hi michael

I had the most succes with a hole where both male as female can fit trough, when you put the shell in your tank the substrate should come till the edge of the hole. This way the male can easely fertilize the eggs and after that the female will close the entrance down with sand/gravel so only she can fit trough.

By the way I like your idea with the java moss, I think I will give that a try aswell.

have a nice day,
miquel,
Holland

C

Cyradia

Ditto on what tjudy said. If you're using any kind of substrate I find both coconut halves and flower pots do best if you stick them half way in the substrate and adjust how far the opposite lip is from the ground. Not only do the fish seem to appreciate this, it's easier and you can then change how big the hole is and reuse the coconut halves from one breeding project to another.

I've had good luck with java moss on the coconut halves, too. The fish seem to love this and there's a natural hiding spot for the fry right outside their cave.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have planted A. nana, A. caladifolia, Bolbitus, java fern and java moss on coconut shells. Plants grow well on them.

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have 6 apisto tanks, so I can probably try them all and see what works best for what species. :wink:

I especially want to try some other plants besides the Java Moss and Java Ferns.

Ted,
I was thinking about constructing some rock formations with caves and stuff. I think it was you on another post that wrote about harmful anerobic bacteria growing under certain circumstances when using rocks. How and where does this bacteria develope? :? If I'm going to use rocks this way, I should probably understand how this happens. Is this also a problem with large pieces of driftwood?

Thanks,
Michael

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
I've used coconust shells with holes of varying sizes and have noticed if the hole is too big, the current owner will plug it up with substrate, leaves, or anything else they can find. I've got a pair of inca's in a shell now and all I see is their mouths. They come out to eat, go back in, and close the hole up again. Waiting for momma to bring some fry out but nothing yet...

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Detritus tends to accumulate under rocks or any other structure. I do not know if there is a physics issue that is drawing more under there, or if it is just a matter of accumulation from not moving them to vacuum the gravel underneath. If the amount of detritus gets dense enough to stop the flow of oxygenated water under the structure, then anearobic bacteria couls take hold. Some of those wee beasties produce hydrogen sulfide as a waste product, which can be harmful to fish. Usually, a bit of methane will be produced as well, and the tank will have a foul odor to tell you something in wrong.

MaryPa

5 Year Member
My pair of apistos love their coconut shell,the hole is very big.They both have been seen sticking their heads out together.They have filled in some of the hole but very little.I have teracotta saucers with notches cut out and caves but the seem toprefer the coconut best.They use the others just as hide outs when traveling the tank :wink:

cootwarm

5 Year Member
So far, mine prefer the coconut shell caves as well. Same thing here too, My apistos also only use the coconut shell cave for spawning, while they use the other caves for shelter from aggression.

They especially like those covered with Java Moss. A couple have a 3 inch plus thick layer over the entire shell half! They have a tunnel to the enterance hole! A couple times I thought new born fry were gone, but they were just hidden in the Java Moss!

Michael

MaryPa

5 Year Member
Matt i love the look of the java moss on driftwood but find it hard to keep clean.How do you clean the stuff? :? The terra cotta pot covered sounds so pretty.

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I keep Java Moss in all 5 of my Apistogramma tanks. I only have a cleaning problem in 2 of my tanks. One of these has an undergravel filter with a power head that generates a fair current. I think this contributes to the problem in this tank. A third tank it is a slight problem, while the remaining 2 have pristine Java Moss.

Anyhow, currently when Java Moss needs cleaning, I quickly & gently go through the Java Moss with the gravel cleaning tube on my siphon. When the debris is a little stubborn, I gently comb it and fluff it with my fingers, then quickly & gently use the gravel cleaning tube on it again. This takes care of the bulk of the debris.

However, it would be great to have a critter that is apisto & fry friendly that would clean it all the time. Even a critter that may not be fry friendly, but could be added to the tank when fry aren't present, then removed when the job is done.

Thanks,
Michael

farm41

5 Year Member
I have never cleaned mine, it always looks good. I have a lot of MTS and Amano shrimp, I don't know which one is responsible for the cleaning, but it must be one of them.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….