• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cockatoo cichlids, how many can i put in my tank?

Cocka2

hi all, i have got some cockatoos a few days ago and was wondering how many is okay to fit in my tank.. i have 1 male, 3 females in there right now.. they are small right now and a little bit of aggresion sometimes between the females. also have a pack of zebra danios and tiger barbs. do i have space to put in some more and can i do it without making the fish more aggresive? tank is a 46 gallon bow front

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My rather conservative rule is 1 square foot (900 sq. cm) of bottom area per apisto. It really depends on how your tank is decorated and if you want them to successfully reproduce.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I've found that you can add up to at least 7 females per male if:
  • Floor space allows, and
  • you have lots of caves and cover.
These are some of mine in a 2', it had many caves and big tangles of moss as well as the plants in the photo. The main fish is an old female, the male is facing the camera on the left, " younger females are towards the rear with the Black-neon Tetra (a suitable "dither"), and the Pristella (an unsuitable one).

old_female_web.jpg

Have a look at ApistoBob's pages, he is a member here and full of goof advice. http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Aquarium_care.php

I've never had success with adding another male to an existing tank, although I have had males grew up together to be sub-adult without blood-shed occurring.

Also your "dithers" will become a problem when your fish breed.

cheers Darrel

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itartiero

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….