• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cockato male looking bad! {with pics}

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
This morning I noticed my Cockato F/R having trouble brething. Then I was cleaning the tank and adding some more drift wood in the tank when. I seen his belly area all sunking in. Can some one please help me with a treatment for him.
This all came on in less then 5 to 6 hrs. I didn't see it at lunch time but new something was up cause all he wanted to do was stay around the bottom of the drift wood.

In this picture I noticed it's all the way up front around the leg fins.
100_3459.jpg

This picture you can see it's got like a knot in the middle of his bely area that sticks out.
100_3444.jpg

I've heard of some Bcatria meds for intestanal proplum? But have no clue as to the name of it and could I get it at pet mart???
Would primafix and or melaifx work?

I'm going to pull him out and place in a QT. But will ait for replies on the bactrial meds and where cn get it before I add any meds.

fishgeek

thin fish, the protrusion is the pelvic girdle equivalent in fish

is he eating ?
increased respiratory rate and weight loss would make me think alonmg the lines of intestinal nematodes sucking blood and causing wasting and anaemia
if he is no longer eating then changes of turning things around are worse

otherwise levamisol or flubendazol are suitable options

levamisol is often available at farms stores as a pig wormer, prehaps nilverm though that maybe an australian trade name
being in texas i guess there is a similar use for levamisol in cattle

all the best andrew

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
He's still eatting. I fed live brine shmp every other day. Last night it was shrimp night and After I noticed him. I payed alot of attention to see if he was eatting cause,I know someone would ask that today after. I posted this. LOL Plus I had to see for my self.
He ate quit abit too, I noticed this morning he just layed on the bottom of the tank. I'd go to touch him and he'd like just lay on his side. He wouldn't even try and swim away. I though that funny { Like a trained dog or something }. I went to a local Vets office and they'd never herad of the medachine you posted. So I'm just using the meds that I posted. it's got this web site on it www.aqproducts.com I'll let you know how it does.

fishgeek

unfortunately for a fish to be eating and be that thin there is a serious problem internally
that maybe intestinal parasites utilising his gut space for there own good and sucking his blood
nematodes - levamisol or flubendazol
cestodes - praziquantel
protozoa - metronidazol

alternatively it maybe that his liver is not processing what he eats and he is unable to turn food into fish, so to speak
this could occur for many reason's most worryingly infections within the body cavity like edwardsiella(often this produces gas and his bouyancy would be disturbed) or mycobacteria

or lastly there maybe a growth that is using energy faster than the fish can and so effectively starving him of nutrition, as in cancer type problems

unfortunately the lethargy you are reporting and lack of flea response does not sound good and i fear that we may lose him
melafix is just tea tree oil at 1% ok for external bacterial things , and actual tea tree has also been suggested as useful against some fungal components
primafix is also a herbal remedy , i cant remember the botanty there though

andrew

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
Thanks fishgeek,I've been using the meds i posted about on him twice day for the last 3 days. he has started running from me when I get nywhere near him now. He has also started swimming around the QT with a lot happier look on his face. I know that sounds crazie but you can see it in his eyes.
you can tell he's feeling better. I've still got 3 days left on the treatment but I can tell huge differnts in hoping we are on the up hill clim with him now.
Again Thanks Fishgeek

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
I used the new med Anti-bacteria drops. I got at pet smart. It's semed to work good. It's day 4 of the treatment. So if he keeps looking like he does now. I'll move him back to the main tank in a couple of days.

fishgeek

do you know what is in the medication?
i would be inclined to leve him seperate for a couple of weeks, no point rushing him back to only have a relapse or the others come down with similar
andrew

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….