• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cichlids are cichlids are cichlids!

ancientaquarist

5 Year Member
I hoped by trying die Zwergbuntbarsche I'd be avoiding major tank rearrangement (ha) and aggression. I've had 4 Bolivian rams, M. atipinosus for 5 mos. One is now eeeemormous-3.2 inches to peduncle and fat-I suspect a female. The smallest who has stayed flat to convex bellied is the worst bully in my 150 community. He attacks all apistos, he
attacks Laetacara curv and dors., he attacks my pair of Etroplus and even the one lone surviving discus.

He keeps expanding is territory and bit me yesterday when I was trying to
break up his territory by moving several plants. Is this typical behavior?
He's making me miserable. I might just as well have a Jack Dempsey.
And he's a little guy and he bites. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Like who can I put in there to give him his comeuppance or
must he go?

TIA.

Neil

ancientaquarist,

I think that your title says it all. In regards to housing densities and aggression levels, there are no fixed rules, just generalities. Sometimes you can get away with housing quite a few species in a particular tank and sometimes you can't house many at all. It is not as much a function of a particular species, as it is a particular individual or pair. Some fish just decide they don't want other cichlids around them (or most every other fish for that matter). When this happens, it is always easiest to remove the disease than to treat the injuries from it. Your B. ram has developed a personality and will likely continue to exert it. I would remove him and the biggest female to a species tank and let her deal with him.

Good luck,

Neil

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….