• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How long for Agassizii to form a pair after replacing female?

davidjp1982

Donating Member
I recently introduced a new Agassizii female to my 10 gallon tank after losing my original female about a month ago. This new female is much more juvenile in appearance than the original female . She has been in the tank for over 2 weeks and is still very drab olive in colour and is still getting bullied by my male who attacks her on sight, except for a few occasions when he is distracted by food. She is extremely timid and is rarely seen moving from the safety of her coconut cave or almond leaves which she seeks refuge under. I have noticed that occasionally after a large water change she will appear more yellow but of course this could be the tannins being diluted with the fresh water and merely my imagination. I guess my question is - if she is a juvenile and as such not ready to spawn yet will this create a situation where the male will constantly try and chase her from his territory as an unsuitable intruder?

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Here are some pics of the female in question:
fish 041.JPG
fish 028.JPG
fish 034.JPG

Attachments

• fish 036.JPG
    fish 036.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 278

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your male isn't trying to court her if she is too young to breed. He is trying to drive her out of his territory - the entire tank - in hopes that a receptive female will come along. Since your female is not ready to breed yet - and in a rather small aquarium - her life right now is a living Hell. I suggest that you remove the male to another tank and allow the female a month or 2 to fully mature in peace. Once she seems like she is interested in breeding (picking out a breeding cave and driving dither fish to the other side of the tank), only then put the male back in the tank.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear that. Right now your best option is to either pick up another tank (always a good idea, even if only used mostly as a quarantine/hospital tank) or replace the female (or male) with another fish - and hope for the best. I feel keeping any living creature in captivity requires that the 'keeper' have the creature's best interest in mind. If one can't adequately maintain them, then maybe they should not try to kept by them.

gerald

5 Year Member
Can you put a screen divider in the tank for a couple months until the female is settled in and looks more interested in breeding? I know it's not pretty, but it may save your female. Needlepoint screen is cheap and it works if you can find a way to secure it, with plastic report binders or other semi-rigid material.

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Can you put a screen divider in the tank for a couple months until the female is settled in and looks more interested in breeding? I know it's not pretty, but it may save your female. Needlepoint screen is cheap and it works if you can find a way to secure it, with plastic report binders or other semi-rigid material.
Would this still be feasible in a 10 gallon tank with a male Apisto and 5 neons? What would be the best split? 50/50 or 75/25 with the female on her own?

davidjp1982

Donating Member
This problem seems to have resolved itself more through luck than judgement. Since removing the Neons and adding 5 Serpae Tetras, the male Apisto has chilled out and dropped his bad boy demeanour whilst the female has come into her own, boasting nice yellow colouring and busying herself shoeing the Serpaes away from her cave. As we speak she is cohabiting nicely alongside my male.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Remove the Serpae Tetras now.
They are much like Pygocentrus nattereri(Red Breast Piranha) fry of the same size and will definitely devour any fry that may come in the future.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….