• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Chromidotilapia guntheri mouthbrooding Q

retro_gk

5 Year Member
Hi,
Aren't C. guntheri supposed to be paternal mouthbrooders? I stripped my fish yesterday at 8 days post spawning and it was the female who was holding the wrigglers :?

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Since the young were wigglers it is possible the parents started to "swap" the young back and forth between each other giving the male a chance to eat. Once the eggs develop the parents start to share brood care responsibility and both parents may even take some of the spawn into their mouths at the same time for protection purposes. You may have caught the adult fish out to strip while the fry were out of a mouth and the closest parent will then pick up the fry to shelter them.

Keep in mind also that with Chromidotilapia g. guntheri and C. g. loennbergi that the females are the much more colorful fish as compared to the males. Not your normal cichlid situation. This is in part, at least in my opinion, to the males doing the majority of the early brood care and needing to be less conspicuous.

Jeff

retro_gk

5 Year Member
hmm yes, that is what I figured as well. Just that all the literature says the male broods solely till the fry are free swimming and these guys were about 4 days away from that.

Randall

5 Year Member
Chromidotilapia guntheri guntheri

Hello Rahul,

Yes, Chromidotilapia guntheri guntheri are paternal ovophilic mouthbrooders, but perhaps your pair has not read the same books that we have.

Good luck!

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….