• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Changing sex - inka 50

blueblue

5 Year Member
In the following URL (from Taiwan),
http://aqua.andy.idv.tw/viewtopic.php?t=51781
we can find a photo of a male Inka 50 (the 3rd picture),
according to the owner of the fish, it was originally a
female fish which had laid eggs and kept fries for some time!! ...
As shown in the picture, it looked like a fish transformed from
female to male, too...

Moreover, in the same chinese forum, another man
mentioned that his aggie also got similar experience: i.e.,
female mother fish (with eggs and fries) became a male fish...

Are there any other recent reports on this topic??

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
To be a true sex change the fish must be fertile as both sexes. Koslowsi (1986) reported a sex change in A. sp. Cheek-spots/Wangenflecken in which the fish laid eggs & produced viable fry. Then it changed sex and fertilized eggs that produced viable fry. This is the only known true sex change reported. I imagine that it can happen in other fish, too.

blueblue

5 Year Member
i used to be doubtful on these "stories"... however, more and more
evidences have appeared from all sources. Some come from highly
reputable friends and experts...so, i am now more willing to accept
these cases ...

blueblue

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
To be a true sex change the fish must be fertile as both sexes. Koslowsi (1986) reported a sex change in A. sp. Cheek-spots/Wangenflecken in which the fish laid eggs & produced viable fry. Then it changed sex and fertilized eggs that produced viable fry. This is the only known true sex change reported. I imagine that it can happen in other fish, too.
Hi Mike: Thanks for your expert comments;
well, the case reported in the chinese forum that i posted was similar to the case you mentioned above: A female inka 50 laid eggs and produced fries with a male inka 50 fish. It then became a male and fertilized another female and produced fries... i guess if the owner of the fish didn't tell lies, then it's a very strong and scientific evidence for proving the ability of changing sex in Inka 50...

Rolo

5 Year Member
cageman said:
if this story is true which I doubt, it is good news for me.
I have 4 females swimming at this time. maybe one of them decides to be male :)

Well, you need a little bit luck for that ;-)
Römer ("Das Aquarium" (06/04)) wrote, that sex-change is "not rare" in the A. nijsseni-Komplex... about 1 : 1-2000. So with your four females it could be a little bit difficult ;-)

@Mike: Römer also wrote, he knows two cases of "sure" sex-change, but he didn't mentioned the second one. Sure, Koslowski is one of them.

greetings,
Rolo

blueblue

5 Year Member
Hi Rolo, thanks for the interesting sharings;
i just wonder what it exactly means by 1: 1-2000? Does it mean that the chance can vary from 1 (i.e. 1/1) to 1/2000? How did Romer calculate this ratio? Are there any english articles talking about it? (I could not read german though i am a big fan of the bundesliga ... )

Rolo

5 Year Member
blueblue said:
i just wonder what it exactly means by 1: 1-2000? Does it mean that the chance can vary from 1 (i.e. 1/1) to 1/2000?

No, I think, it means: on an average of 1000-2000 females will be one, that changes sex. (but that also include, that you can have a sex change at 1/1 *g*)

blueblue said:
How did Romer calculate this ratio?
I don't think, he calculates or counts that number ;-) ... it's probably more a guess.

blueblue said:
Are there any english articles talking about it? (I could not read german though i am a big fan of the bundesliga ... )
It's unfortunately the only one I know. ...and I mostly prefer to read german articles, though I'm not such a big fan of the Bundesliga. But it was a pretty good party last year, when "we" (I'm from Bremen) became german champion against Bayern (our all-time-enemy *g*)

greetings,
Rolo

blueblue

5 Year Member
Thanks Rolo. i see, and i am still thinking of how Romer estimates the
chance... i think there're some estimations as he is not just giving
a wide guess of 1: 1000, but he gives a range...

Bremen is a good team while I am a big fan of FC Bayern :)

aspen

5 Year Member
ted, i have no doubt that you have seen it. but from your statement, how could one establish 'scientific proof? or this other fellow who claims he has seen it?

rick

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't know about Ted, but Koslowski's observations are very clear. He had a pair in a breeding tank that produced viable fry. He then lost the male. The female was put in with a smaller female. Over a few month the older female developed masculine secondary sexual features: longer dorsal and anal fin tips & a blue sheen on the scales. The 2 fish produced viable fry that were guarded by the smaller fish. Unless the species are isolated so that there can only be 1 male & 1 female, then there can always be questions of who is the father.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I started with a group of juvinile Dicrossus that were unsexable, and separated them into groups of five in ten gallon tanks to grow out. They were so small that I was nto even sure which species they were... I was hoping for maculatus. As the fish started to show sexual dimorphism I separated the males from obvious females. I paired up three males with females in their own tens, the each pair produced spawns. The eggs would hatch, but the fry did not survive... I did not have RO/DI at that time.

One of my breeder males died, and I did not have another male, so I placed three other females that were all smaller than the breeder female in the tank with her. Over a period of about three weeks I watched that larger female turn into a male. 'He' then paired with the next largest female inthe tank and started to breed, again producing eggs that would hatch. I then went an purpsofeully removed a male from another breeding pair and replaced him with three smaller females, and I saw the event happen again.

One of the key elements, I think, is that I started with a group of fish that were all unsexable juviniles in the 3/4 to 1 inch size range. Most of the Dicrossus we see are imported adults.

I would love to try it again, especially now that I can probably match water conditions better, but I have not come across a group that are that young.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….