• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cat killed African Butterfly Fish

Joe Gatchell

My 5 month old cat killed two of my three african butterfly fish a few nights ago. He kept messing around my tank at 2am while I was in bed, I kept running him out of the room and he came back immediately I couldn't figure out why he wouldn't relent. Until I noticed the fish gone. I found one of them under the stand dried up with bite marks in him. I never found the other. If it wasn't for my wife, the cat would disappear as well.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear this. My 17 year old cat never really considered the fish tank anything more than "kitty TV". He doesn't like getting his paws wet. I have good tight covers on my tanks, other than the ones in the fish room, where the cat can't go unless I'm in the room. Other possibility is to put the cat in a room with a door for the night.

Joe Gatchell

Sorry to hear this. My 17 year old cat never really considered the fish tank anything more than "kitty TV". He doesn't like getting his paws wet. I have good tight covers on my tanks, other than the ones in the fish room, where the cat can't go unless I'm in the room. Other possibility is to put the cat in a room with a door for the night.

Yeah my older cat is like yours, he's 12. My covers are pretty tight but there's enough room by the HOB filters for him to get his paws in there and snag the surface sleeping ABF's out. I can't lock him in a room he would try all night to get out and wake up the whole house. I can think of a few places I'd like to lock him though, probably not forum friendly. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….