• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

meaning behind shock in fish

martink

i took my sub male abacaxis to the shop but stupid me took the wrong male and the male i was keeping spent a few days in the fish shop. large shop but was in quarantine just. well when i retrieved him I carelessly put him back in my tank immediately, forgetting he had been in different water. he took bad shock and looked pretty awry for a while as i was cursing the house down. He is ok now but im a little worried about my water. what does shock mean for a tank? is it much worse than the shop? less oxygen, more acidic? anybody know?

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
Yeah, it’s happened to me before when I had a fish jump out of acclimation and into a heated water bath (tap). Keep an eye on him, maybe separate. The stress will make him less able to deal with underlying diseases, so could possibly get sick. Give him excellent water and live foods, lots of tannins, avoid more big swings in parameters.

martink

Yeah, it’s happened to me before when I had a fish jump out of acclimation and into a heated water bath (tap). Keep an eye on him, maybe separate. The stress will make him less able to deal with underlying diseases, so could possibly get sick. Give him excellent water and live foods, lots of tannins, avoid more big swings in parameters.
yeah he is fine now, just doing his rounds and eating fine, looks pretty good to be honest happy to be back with his female. I have plenty rain water so ill just change every second day. I make this ground oak bark tea but there is slight sediment that gets into the water but soon gets filtered out, so im stalling that for a while even though thats where my tannins come from. ive got alder cones so ill make a tea with them instead.
Osmotic shock is what you need to worry about imo, specifically moving fish from “hard” water to “soft”
i think thats what must have happenend. I am using rain water but the water is so soft here from the tap, I didnt think it through. difference is only 30-40 tds from my rain water usually, but the shop in a different town and may have another source water. He looks fine now though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….