• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can you diagnose this Illness?

Borelliiguy

Ok so yesterday I noticed my male apisto has a pink anal tube which looks permanently open. He's acting fine and eating well but I haven't seen this in an apisto before. I have just weened him off frozen food. It's has been a long struggle but he and the female are finally taking to nls and before that, he'd get blood worm 3 times a week which is way more than I usually feed them (usually once a week)

His colors are improving with the nls but this pink butt think has me worried :eek:

viejo

5 Year Member
Can you perhaps provide a picture. What you are describing sounds like a possible camellanus worm infestation. If so it is not a good thing . It is treatable however if this is the case.

Borelliiguy

There are no worms sticking out and the redness has gone a very light pink. I'll post a pic when I get the chance to take a clear one.

Borelliiguy

I have been treating with a product called sterazin and I thought that the condition was being kept from worsening. However, today I noticed the female has the same bulge and the male has about 3-4 very fine red hairs protruding out of his anus. Barely visible but visibly hanging out. I'm really worried here. I love this apisto as much as the rest.

Help

Please.

Rod

5 Year Member
Viejo and Ted have picked it!

The fine red hairs are worms.....camellanus worms
Best treated with a product called levimsole.....it doesn't kill the worms
It paralyses them and the fall out....the substrate needs to be vacuumed to remove the stunned worms

In Australia we use a pig wormer....but you may have access to an Aquarium product?

Borelliiguy

Both my apistos were on the floor for the past two days and I thought I was going to lose them. Then I got this product called "Sera nametol" and I swear, within an hour they were swimming around as usual and their anal track looks a lot less swollen. Thanks for the diagnosis guys. I really appreciate it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….