• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cacatuoides weird behaviour, any ideas?

Chris_H

I fed my fish a nice portion of bloodworms this morning and throughout the whole day, my female cacatuoides is guarding them as they were her fry. She just hovers above them without eating anything and chases all the other fish except the male away. She’s turned yellow as if she would when breeding but is now mostly away from her cave/territory. Prelude to breeding or just weird behaviour?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Prelude to breeding
They some time herd and protect Daphnia, and the females are great fry stealers from one another, so I'd guess it relates to spawning. I don't feed frozen Bloodworm, and live Bloodworms are quite active, so I've never seen this myself.

cheers Darrel

MacZ

Protecting food sources is relatively common, have seen it in A. hongsloi, A. ortegai and A. agassizii.
Yet, this description is odd.

anewbie

Well fish breeding behavior is trigged by hormones so i figured there is something in the bloodworms that is confusing the fish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….