• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

bulb recommendation...

stina

5 Year Member
Hi ppl!
I have in my Rio180 tank two bulbs(Aqua-Glo and Power-Glo), i have also Glomat2 so i can power-up my light system... what other bulbs do you recommend for best plant grow?!
Is Life-Glo any good in planted aquaria?!?!
TIA
regards
Vedran

JG

5 Year Member
I've used a sole Life-Glo (20w) over a 42G tank and the java fern loved it. It depends on what type of plants you'll be keeping of course, but if it's low-light, i.e., java, then I highly recommend it.

aspen

5 Year Member
imo, aquarium- store- bought plant tank lamps are designed to make the tank look better, not necessarily to get your plants growing better. i use phillips 850's for a fraction of the cost of the store bought lamps. plant growth is good, and it is easier to re-lamp more ofter at 2.50 per lamp than 25 bucks, which i regard as highway robbery for a stinking light bulb.

rick

stina

5 Year Member
Well, osram Fluora is rather cheap...and i can get to phillips auqacorelle...
thanx guys...

Oh yeah, well, my plants are just plain old good mix :lol:

aspen

5 Year Member
if your fixture only takes t-12 lamps (the thicker ones) i used to use 1 warm white or gro-lux and 1 daylight lamp. that was before i started using electronic ballasts.

rick

stina

5 Year Member
I have Rio180 and he allready have electronic ballast inside his lightning system, but bulbs are T8...

BTW one college from my local forum has made GREAT article for DIY electronic ballast... if you are interested, i would likely try to translate it...
(i am saying this cuz i didn't find anythin similiar on interenet)
regards
Vedran

aspen

5 Year Member
there is a great number of lamps available in the t-8 size from your local electrical supplier, whatever country you are in. as i said, i like the phillips 850 lamps, and the phillips 865 are very good as well. the 850 is 5000 k, the 865 is 6500 k. a blend will give you approx 5700 k, very good lighting for plant growth. these lamps last a lot longer than their t-12 equivalants and will cost you a slight bit more than a normal cool white lamp.

if you want to translate that article, provide it in a new topic, lots of people may find it very useful. be very careful translating the technical data. technical translation is a very difficult job, and that part of the article would be the most important. if you want to submit it to me by pm to check, i am an electrician, and may be able to correct mistakes before you post it.

>>'I have Rio180 '

isn't that a powerhead??

rick

stina

5 Year Member
No, RIO180 is model from JUWEL aquariums...

I feel kind of stupid to make an english versin of other man article, so i will ask him for his aproval first...
DIY electronic ballast is easy and with pics you will all realize that, we will be in contact.
regards

JG

5 Year Member
It's true that those store bought bulbs are very expensive. I was fortunate enough to buy four bulbs for about $5 each (Life Glo x3, Aqua Glo x1). Probably the only reason I'm using them and not the hardware shop lights.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….