• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Building Aquarium Stand

georgedv

5 Year Member
I want to build three IDENTICAL stands that will sit side by side. Each stand will be three levels and
48-49" long (still calculating).
The bottom level will protrude about 7" from the two top ones. This level will house three 55g tanks.
The second level will house 4-5 29g high tanks. The top level will house 10g tanks.

After much research I have a design. My concern and question is this;
I got most of my stuff from Ted Judys' site "Teds Fishroom" (great site). In one of his videos he mentions that any side longer then 40" will need a middle support. My problem is that to support the middle level, the support "leg" will run into the tank below, since the bottom level protrudes 7" foreward from the two above.

I am hoping that someone here might have a solution or someone with building experience might know what to do. Would using 2x4 or larger provide the support needed.

I hope I was able to provide a good description of the stand and a clear picture of the problem. If anyone has any input please don't be shy.

thanks
george

animalmgc

5 Year Member
makes ur side openings wide enough to slide the aquarium in that way stacking 3 high wouldn't u want to mount to the wall or run up to the ceiling somehow to avoid tipping?

regani

5 Year Member
I use 2x4 for my shelfs. The shelves are about 50" wide, 24" deep, and have 3 levels. I use two 2x4 screwed together for the vertical supports to make sure they can carry the weight. The shelves are also secured to the walls.

georgedv

5 Year Member
Currently I am using shelves that you can buy at Lowes or HD. These are 3 levels. I have used these for 8-9 years. Never has one tipped or come close to tipping. Is this tipping problem more common with shekves that the tanks fit snug into? I am asking since i know anchoring to the wall is not an option for me.

thanks

george

regani

5 Year Member
Just a precaution. I really wouldn't want to find several hundred litres of water and bits of glas sloshing about in my fish room...

regani

5 Year Member
If it is a solid build with cross braces and it has a large enough footprint (depth >1 foot) you may not need to secure it to the wall. If it is relativly slim it will be more likely to topple, e.g. when your kid decides to climb up the rack to have a look into the top tank....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….