• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bubble Ram

Blue_Ram

5 Year Member
I was told by someone on another forum that thses fish are really cool. So I tried a google search on them and couldnt find anything on them. Is there really such thing as a Bubble Ram? and if there is can someone post a pic of one?

Thanks,

Blue_Ram

mf3011

5 Year Member
Not what you think

I believe that this is simply a tank strain of the regular blue ram that has basically been blown up. It looks like one of those big balloon goldfish, and personally I believe it doesn't look near as cool as the regular ram. I could be wrong, and we could be talking about different fish, but that's what I'm thinking. I think it's also called a ballon ram. Hope this helps!

Mike

james595

5 Year Member
I have seen them in pet stores. They look like a bloated blue/gold ram. It may be the same mutation responsible for baloon mollies. Personally, I think they are as awesome as those multi colored parot "cichlids". When you see those parrot cichlids with their triangular shaped mouth opening, that can barely swim due to the numerous deformities and abnormalities, you cant help but stare. They may be sterile, or breeding may be very difficult. On the plus side, they may express reduced agression due to their intensive line breeding.
So my advice, from a person who likes to keep fish that resemble those found in nature, run far far away from these rams.

DravenXavier

5 Year Member
I agree with James on this. I find these new deformities that are coming about to be terrible. Balloon mollies, rams, and even rainbowfish are making their way in, and fortunately, the balloon rams and rainbows don't seem to have caught on. I'm also relatively sure they can have quite a few health complications resulting from the abnormal body shape, mostly digestive problems.

electric eel

5 Year Member
i think the only reason they probably have'nt "caught on" is that they are very difficult to keep and breed(from what i've read)only very advanced fishkeepers are going to have much luck with them and most of them would'nt touch them.i think they are an abomination in my opinion.longfinned rams are pretty delicate compared to the shortfinned variety(at least in my experience) and the balloon rams are supposed to be a lot more delicate then the longfinned ones.

RAF

5 Year Member
There are some aqurium improvments that look nice and don't harm the fish, like the german blue ram, but I just can't find an explanation to why would someone bother to mess up what nature gave us and deform a fish in a way it looses all ist's beauty (I know beauty it's in the eye of the beholder, but taste can be educated) and becomes a monstruosity.

Ballon rams, mollies, parrots, flowehorns and so on should be forbidden!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….