• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

British Cichlid Association- Spring Convention 2013...

Microman

5 Year Member
The British Cichlid Association are pleased to announce that Mike Wise and Tom Christoffersen will be guest speakers at the forthcoming convention on Sunday 5th May 2013 at Redditch UK. They will be presenting 3 lectures on "Breeding Apistogramma, For love and for profit", "Collecting in Peru" and another on"SA dwarf cichlids".
Plus 350Lot Auction including many hard to find Apistogramma species, Ive entered 17 different Apistogramma species myself with many more from other UK Apisto keepers.
A "must not miss" event for any Apistogramma/SA dwarf cichlid enthusiast...
Full details of the Convention can be located here:
http://www.britishcichlid.org.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9854&start=10#p45982
Mark...

CBon

The British Cichlid Association are pleased to announce that Mike Wise and Tom Christoffersen will be guest speakers at the forthcoming convention on Sunday 5th May 2013 at Redditch UK. They will be presenting 3 lectures on "Breeding Apistogramma, For love and for profit", "Collecting in Peru" and another on"SA dwarf cichlids".
Plus 350Lot Auction including many hard to find Apistogramma species, Ive entered 17 different Apistogramma species myself with many more from other UK Apisto keepers.
A "must not miss" event for any Apistogramma/SA dwarf cichlid enthusiast...
Full details of the Convention can be located here:
http://www.britishcichlid.org.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9854&start=10#p45982
Mark...

Mark, of the species you have entered, I have the following questions if I may....

1) Which are the easiest to breed
2) Which are the most colourful
3) Which are the most sociable and likely to be seen and not hide all the time

Cheers

Neuro

Really looking forward to this one, and its getting close now.

Been working in the fish room setting up new tanks ready for any new fish from the auction.

Can't wait to see you all there.

David

Tom C

5 Year Member
Yes, see you all there!

resizeimage.aspx

Neuro

Just back from a really great day out at the BCA convention.

Great talks from both Tom & Mike really shared their experience of collecting in south America. But that wasn't enough for Mike and I was out bid when he started collecting some of Marks Alto tapiche in the auction !

Thanks to all who put the time effort into making it such a great day out.

David

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I had a great day, too, meeting and talking with some many apistophiles. Ray Blackburn has been an incredible host and a joy to talk with. I can't say enough about others I've met, too. TomC, MarkB (Microman), StephenC (Ste12000) have been very generous with their fish. I'm sure I miss others. Sorry, but it's been a hectic few days. Anyway, it was great to match faces to names from past forum posts and emails. Sorry about the Alto Tapiche, David, but this was 1 species I really wanted. I don't plan to spend 7 days in a peki-peki (canoe) like Tom did just to get this fish from the wild. I'm sure Mark will have a new supply of Altos soon and you can get them from him. I on the other hand ...

Jeff, we'll see if I can get my fish through customs; no problem getting fish into UK and to Tom. I hope it's as simple getting my fish into the USA.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
You should be good Mike, as long as they state they are aquarium fish for personal enjoyment (not a commercial import). How many individual fish are you bringing back? There is a magic number of fish you can bring back but many of the customs officials don't really care. Hopefully you get someone in Denver, or where ever you are entering the country, that feels that way! (or keeps fish themselves!!!)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'm bringing back <50 fish, just as many of them pencilfish as apistos. I don't really plan on any problems, but just in case I brought my copy of the DATZ book with a picture of my smiling green face! That did the trick back from Peru last Fall.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'm bringing back <50 fish, just as many of them pencilfish as apistos. I don't really plan on any problems, but just in case I brought my copy of the DATZ book with a picture of my smiling green face! That did the trick back from Peru last Fall.

Too funny!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well, back in Denver with the fish. I wasn't lucky this time. I went around and around with customs & wildlife. In Chicago the wildlife officer told me that any number of fish over 8 was considered a commercial shipment. $100 for import license & $186 for inspection for only 50 fish! In LA I brought back 150 and 90 fish from 2 trips to Peru as 'for personal use'; no fees. Sadly I lost the Copella arnoldi. Their bag leaked and collapsed somewhere along the way. What did I bring back? A. payaminonis females, A. sp. Schwarzkehl, & A. sp. Abacaxis for Julio (in trade for male A. payaminonis for TomC). I was given a lot of fish: Nannostomus andusei, N. minimus, N. harrisoni, N. unifasciatus, Apisto. tucurui, A. sp. Abacaxis, A. sp. Alto Tapiche, the true A. cruzi, and A. playayacu. Thanks to Tom, Mark, Steven, and Ray for the fish, John & Liz for putting on an incredible dinners 3 times (I gained a couple of pounds), and everyone for making me feel so welcome. A special thanks goes to Ray Blackburn (Frogmore Hilton) for being an incredible host, putting me and Diane up at his home, feeding us, and being our Liverpool tour guide.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….