• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

breeding water

fishgeek

is it possible that constantly good water with little change can lead to fish not being interested in breeding

i seem to note lots of peole have succes with newly acquired fish soon after purchase, change?
i think mike has suggested taking his fish for a drive if they are being stubborn?

my fish seem to have gone a bit stagnant and i would say the water is pretty damn good , almost 100% ro/di with peat minimal hardness , pH stable around 5.8 and live/frozen foods very little dry food
no action

i was thinking about altering temperature up and increasing hardness a bit like a summer season for them then adding cooler change water as i now do again

any thoughts on some stimulus for them

andrew

blueblue

5 Year Member
Hi Andrew,

In nature, i think the fish will spawn after receiving some natural calls,
e.g., when the raining season comes which means changes of pH, kH, etc. This kind of call involves CHANGES, and i myself also believe that changes can stimulate apistos to spawn... it is very effective.

fishgeek said:
is it possible that constantly good water with little change can lead to fish not being interested in breeding

i seem to note lots of peole have succes with newly acquired fish soon after purchase, change?
i think mike has suggested taking his fish for a drive if they are being stubborn?

my fish seem to have gone a bit stagnant and i would say the water is pretty damn good , almost 100% ro/di with peat minimal hardness , pH stable around 5.8 and live/frozen foods very little dry food
no action

i was thinking about altering temperature up and increasing hardness a bit like a summer season for them then adding cooler change water as i now do again

any thoughts on some stimulus for them

andrew

mooman

5 Year Member
I've simulated mini-dry seasons, by using harder water, cutting back on water changes, and feeding only two or three times a week for two or three weeks. Then when a low pressure system comes through, I did a big water change with 100% RO,dropped ph over several days, and fed copious ammounts of live bbs. It worked once, but not another time. Who's to say, but logically it should work.

tjd

5 Year Member
mooman,

I noticed that you try to time your simulated rainly season with a low pressure system. Many of my fish show increased spawning activity around rain/low pressure systems even if I have not made any recent water changes.

Tom

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….