• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding Vijeta CF II

donaldscichlids

5 Year Member
Hi all.
I really want to breed my Vijeta's as i got a little 5Gal and a bubble filter for christmas. Does any one know anything about them, and anything about breeding them, like water param's temperature etc?
At the moment I have them in a planted community tank with Cac's, Panduros and Hongslois and the water is soft at about pH 6.9 tp 7 and a temp of about 82F. (You can see a few pics here http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111578 )

So any advice would be appreciated.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've never kept this species personally, but am sure that a general breeding tank approach would work fine.

I use an 18" to 2ft tank for a pair or trio with sand substrate, easy to look after plants (java ferns and floating plants among others). I add caves made from parts of flowerpots or drip trays with notches taken out of the edges. If you're keeping more than one female then each needs a separate set of caves. I tend to put a couple right at one end and another couple at the other; then one female can't claim all the caves.

Filtration can be anything you want that'll keep the water to a good quality, but I tend to use air powered foam filters or low powered internal filters.

I use RO water (as the stuff out of my tap isn't up to much) and keep the pH around 6 for most of my fish, most of the time. I think yours should be fine, but if they don't breed try and get it lower maybe.

Feeding wise give them lots of live and frozen food with a good base flake or granular food. Have baby brine shrimp and microworms of you can on hand to feed the little ones!

If you put dither fish in I find small killies and Pencilfish tend to work well. I think microrasboras and Pseudomugil Rainbows would work well too.

That all works for me anyway! Good luck!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thanuhrei

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(