• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding problems?

chromis

5 Year Member
Hi there

I have recently acquired some Pelvicachromis species and one of them is the Pelvicachromis roloffi "Kolente River". I have separated a pair that I have noticed are getting broody and they are now in a tank of their own with a shoal of glowlight tetras. I am sure the pair have now spawned and it's now been 7 days since the event. I went to feed them today and noticed that the male is breathing heavy and the female is showing some distressed colours and outside the cave she laid eggs in. A couple of hours later, both are breathing normally but the female seems to be hiding behind a bogwood at the back of the tank. From these observations, I have come to the conclusion that they might have had a tiff. I know this is possible which is why I have added some tetras to divert their aggression away from each other.

My question is two-fold:
1 - Is there hope for the eggs?
2 - If they did had a fight, it seems that the tetras weren't successful in getting the aggression away from the pair. What would be a good dither fish to use to avoid this happening again?

I would like to add that they are in a 4 ft tank divided by a glass. They can see their nextdoor neighbours of Blue fins which they were trying to chase off when they were getting ready to spawn.

pH=6.8
kh=<1 dh
Gh=1 dh

Their area is decorated with bogwood and plants with 1 cave to spawn in.

Thanks
chromis

chromis

5 Year Member
Well, I have some bad news. I checked them this morning and found that both fish have died.

Can anyone advice on what might be the cause?

fishgeek

ammonia , dissolved oxygen
need more info on water parameters, circulation temperature etc

gill parasites , any flicking noticed?
other water borne toxins - insecticides, nicotine, heavy metals etc etc

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….