• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding Pelvicachromis "taeniatus"

T

Tina

Is anyone breeding any species of taeniatus. I am trying to figure out how to consistantly spawn them. Tina

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Currently breeding Moliwe, Dehane, and Mahone. Due to space issues, After I pull a spawn I drop the temp from 82ish down into the mid 70's to keep them from spawning again. I usually feed flake and the occasional frozen foods during this time. When I have my next growout tank available, I'll start feeding live foods like brine shrimp, white worms, and blackworms. Then I'll start to raise the temp back up and usually within the week they'll be courting if they haven't already spawned. Don't know if it is the change in diet, or the change in temp, but that method is working for me. Good luck, hope it helps.

T

Tina

Cichlids1, Thanks -that does help. I keep having my nigerian green pair acting like they are going to spawn and then never do. They really are going through some serious body twisting, shaking and digging though. I have talked to others that had the same problem. Has that ever happened to any of your pairs? I will try some of your advise. thanx,Tina

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
I haven't kept the greens, but the others do a lot of that. It seems that she starts displaying to him, showing her belly, arching, shaking and gyrating in front of him. Then he acts like he's in a "I'd rather watch TV mood" and gives her what I percieve to be aggressive shakes and tail wags. Then, a couple days later, the roles are reversed. Eventually, it does lead to spawning in my tank. Sometimes it seems to go on for a couple days, other times a couple weeks. Have you gotten yours to spawn yet? Or just not on any regular basis?

T

Tina

Cichlids1, I have had several pairs do the same thing. I have gotten small spawns from Moliwe and Lobe, but only one spawn and the they kept doing the same thing as when they spawned, but without spawning-or at least bring out fry. They might have layed eggs and I think my nigerians are laying eggs, but i am not sure. pH is 6.0, low hardness, and 80 degrees. They are displaying again right now, so we'll see if anything happens. They are very frustrating little creatures, but so pretty I keep wanting to work with them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….