• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding in community tank problem

Fishnoob

Hi,
A few weeks ago i bought 3 apistogrammas viejetta (idk hoe to write it) 2females/1male
For in my guppy/community tank.
I had to remove 1 female because she was being chased by the other.
Now the male and the female spawned in a big snail Shell 3days ago. The female is guarding the shell so no problem there. But im afraid when they Hatch theyll get eaten immediatly. Should i just place the shell in my guppy Fry box(floating box in the aquarium) im afraid if i move the shell and the female she will eat the eggs out of stress.
What should i do?
15942939040238503726647985144252.jpg
15942939515963681839258322813539.jpg
1594293993638360921317831681422.jpg

Fishnoob

Never mind. The female Just abandoned the shell after 3days.. and i found a corydoras in the shell, so the eggs are prob gone. Im gonna put the snail shell in the breeding box tho. Maybe 1 survived ;)

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your fish are A. macmasteri - a colorful domestic color form often sold as A. viejita. If your pair spawned once, they will spawn again if given a chance. Guppies, as a rule, are not fry predators so I doubt that your female will have a problem with them. The cory, as you experienced, is another matter. I strongly suggest you do a search here on corys and breeding apistos here. They are definitely not a good match and apistos have been known to damage corys.

Fishnoob

Your fish are A. macmasteri - a colorful domestic color form often sold as A. viejita. If your pair spawned once, they will spawn again if given a chance. Guppies, as a rule, are not fry predators so I doubt that your female will have a problem with them. The cory, as you experienced, is another matter. I strongly suggest you do a search here on corys and breeding apistos here. They are definitely not a good match and apistos have been known to damage corys.
Whats the diference beteren viejita and macmasteri

lexi

Beautiful pictures! What'd you shoot them with? I recently got some new macro lenses for my Nikon d3500 but my tanks are so dim and tannin heavy I'm still not having much luck. I want better lights but dont think the fish would appreciate it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….