• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

breeding crenicichla compressiceps

Remon

5 Year Member
Hi guys,
I have a couple of these fish for a few months now, and got them to spawn last week (thursdaynight). The information about spawning these fish is very sparse and contradicting in some cases as well. Has any of you ever spawned these fish before? Can you give me some proper details? I didn't see the eggs anymore after about 48 hours, so in the best case they hatched, which seems plausible to me after 48 hours. How long does it take before they are freeswimming?

Thanks in advance!
Rémon

STOKER

5 Year Member
Try this info

Crenicichla compressiceps
C. compressiceps is endemic to the Rio Tocantins and its tributaries and inhabits areas near rapids.

C. compressiceps is a relatively compact, deep bodied, small pike cichlid. Because of the lateral compression of the head and anterior body, they are atypical, and it is hard to confuse this species with any other species of Crenicichla, C. compressiceps has a shade of greenish yellow, which often transforms into greenish black towards the back. Seven, or, eight, or occasionally six, narrow yellow vertical bands are found on the body, sometimes extending onto the dorsal fin. The caudal, dorsal and anal fins are marked with a varying number of distinct black vertical bands. Sexing is hard, full grown males are generally larger, their dorsal fin is slightly more pointed, and ripe females have considerably more rounded bellies.

C. compressiceps is relatively easy to keep, but need a large tank with piles of rock, where they can take shelter, and under good aquarium conditions, they will reach their normal lifespan of four to six years.

To get a pair of these fish, it is best to acquire a small group and allow pairs to form on their own, but once a pair forms, you should remove all other fish, as territorial compressiceps are extraordinarily aggressive and will viciously attack any other tankmates. A cave is excavated by the pair and up to 80 eggs are attached to the ceiling, the female then generally assumes sole responsibility for the brood, only occasionally will the male help. Egg development is relatively slow in this species, larvae take four days to hatch, and free swimming juveniles usually emerge from the cave after twelve to fourteen days. The young fry need regular partial water changes and readily eat freshly hatched baby brine shrimp. Brood care often lasts for several months and is preformed by both parents.

Male adult size - 9cm
Female adult size - 7cm

Waters pH - 6.0 to 6.5
Hardness - 1 to 3 dGH
Temperature - 23 to 32 Degrees

Mike :) :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….